Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hello everyone!    

Hello everyone!

AlexandraLopez
Dominican Republic

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone at ESL printables!

I have a very general question for those teachers who teach very young children. (age 3-5)
Wouldn �t a printable that focuses on practicing their handwriting ;be an excellent tool to aid in language teaching?

What I mean is a stack of cards that teachers can laminate , print w/ cardstock ,and cut  out and use in class. Most young learnes are not ready to begin handwriting with ABC �s just yet because all they know how to grasp is doodling on their sheets. However,with careful instruction these cards can be very useful in an ESL class in addition to any other class that may involve writing in the future.

So here goes my question to all of you, is this (in your opinion obviously) an ESL resource, yes or no ?

Thanks,
Ale

3 Jul 2009      

douglas
United States

I remember seeing something similar in the reported worksheets a while back.  I think they were voted to be removed.  The reason was that they didn �t really teach ESL, they were more for the first language (L1). 

My thoughts would be that you could do it if you used full words and not just the alphabet--something like traceable flashcards but, that is just my opinion.

One argument for them was that they were useful for teaching ESL to people whose L1 has a different alphabet (e.g. Russian or Greek)  

3 Jul 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I would be amazed if children that age could read at all!
They are kindergarten age in my countries. (Denmark and the USA)
Their motor skills are not developed either and that would be hard
and not very natural to force them into using skills they haven �t developed yet.

Singing and playing games are the best ways of teaching very small children.
If small children are forced to learn without it being fun - you might destroy their
desire for learning later on in life.

They are still at the playing age - so use play to teach them.

L

3 Jul 2009     

victor
Spain

Hello Alexandra,

I answered your private message. You should stop now.

I have been teaching children aged 3-5 for many years, and yes, I could use your pre-handwriting cards, but I could use almost everything to teach english: a single photograph, a picture... Even a blank piece of paper!
Should we allow blank worksheets then?

What I want to say is that your worksheet could be useful, but we have to set some limits on what is accepted here. Otherwise it would be impossible to maintain the website.

Hugs,

Victor

3 Jul 2009     

AlexandraLopez
Dominican Republic

Hello,

Victor I think I �m entitled to ask the opinion of others, doesn �t this website allow freedom of speech?
Am I attacking you personally? I think that �s not my intention -so why ask me to stop? I think that �s quite rude on your behalf. In no way am I pointing fingers here or saying anything to you. I believe my question was very general, and yes I read your personal message thanks for your response.

What I wanted was a general opinion ; insight of the fellow teachers. In no way is this some kind of experiment where I want to test out the traceables- I �ve already used this method and it works, I just wanted to share the resource with the rest of you (the community) so please don �t take it personal. I �ve been teaching young children as well for several years now. I �m only clarifying that now that you mention it. Was that some way of letting me know that because you �ve taught children for many years your opinion is better than mine? Correct me if I �m wrong.

I accept your response but at the same time it �s pretty awful to set limits on teaching. Some things might really surprise you.

I appreciate everyone �s feedback.

Oh and LibertyBelle, the activity is not intented to force children to learn how to write ; it �s intended to develop their motorskills for when they are ready to learn how to trace the ABC �s in the near future, now this is done in Pre-k (meaning the age of 4 which is a perfect age for a child to learn how to listen and follow instructions and not just sit around and play duck duck goose.)
The idea of doodling and tracing is wonderful for them, and I �ve tried it, its very natural and they respond perfectly well- All I wanted was to share this with the rest of the community.
Many thanks,
Alex 

4 Jul 2009     

AlexandraLopez
Dominican Republic

Hello,

Victor I think I �m entitled to ask the opinion of others, doesn �t this website allow freedom of speech?
Am I attacking you personally? I think that �s not my intention -so why ask me to stop? I think that �s quite rude on your behalf. In no way am I pointing fingers here or saying anything to you. I believe my question was very general, and yes I read your personal message thanks for your response.

What I wanted was a general opinion ; insight of the fellow teachers. In no way is this some kind of experiment where I want to test out the traceables- I �ve already used this method and it works, I just wanted to share the resource with the rest of you (the community) so please don �t take it personal. I �ve been teaching young children as well for several years now. I �m only clarifying that now that you mention it. Was that some way of letting me know that because you �ve taught children for many years your opinion is better than mine? Correct me if I �m wrong.

I accept your response but at the same time it �s pretty awful to set limits on teaching. Some things might really surprise you.

I appreciate everyone �s feedback.

Oh and LibertyBelle, the activity is not intented to force children to learn how to write ; it �s intended to develop their motorskills for when they are ready to learn how to trace the ABC �s in the near future, now this is done in Pre-k (meaning the age of 4 which is a perfect age for a child to learn how to listen and follow instructions and not just sit around and play duck duck goose.)
The idea of doodling and tracing is wonderful for them, and I �ve tried it, its very natural and they respond perfectly well- All I wanted was to share this with the rest of the community.
Many thanks,
Alex 

4 Jul 2009