Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > help needed    

help needed

tugce-cenk
Turkey

help needed

I have a class who are adults. I want to teach them greetings, the verb to be and subject pronouns. How can I make my first class more effective and enjoyable?

Thanks in advance

3 Jul 2009      

camilastohrer
Brazil

Hello there!

I usually begin the first class by having them imagine they �re in some English speaking country. Then, I ask them to mentally picture themselves in the airport in that place and someone comes to talk to them in English. And I ask them : "What would you say?" (usually at least one student knows the basic greetings) and I have them repeat the words as I write them on the board. I go on as the story develops in order to use all the words I want to teach.
Afterwards, I have them work in pairs (one pair at a time) and perform the small situation we had been talking about.

For verbs in general I present the grammar and then we play a target game. I put the conjugations on the board and the pronouns in small pieces of paper. Each student picks a piece of paper and, from a distance stablished by me, the student has to score a ball on the right conjugation on the board. Before throwing the ball the student has to say the subject and the verb out loud. However, he will only score if he hits the verb on the board.

I �ve worked this way with adults and they really enjoy it. I don �t know how they would react in your country, but in Brazil it works just fine.

Hope I could help you!

3 Jul 2009     

xuxutati
Brazil

Dear:

If you students have a job, try to prepare your material focused on their lives. Adults learn things that make sense for them. If you try to put some English into their real life, they�ll be even more motivated to learn. Instead of having questions like " How often do you go to school?", try to change them into "How often do you have meetings/ travel on business?" I also teach grownups and this sort of practice really works.

Good luck!

Marianne

3 Jul 2009     

txellalalluna
Andorra

i agree with camila, practice dialogues, simple ones.
Focus on basic things they can understand... nationalities, age, job... things that at the same time go together with to be.

i learned a new language when i was 28 and my first lesson was like that, i really enjoyed it and i still some of the dialogues from that day :)

3 Jul 2009     

Marla D.
United States

What level of English do your adults have?

4 Jul 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

Begin with use the forms of verb �be � (is, am, are) in the present tense, with subjective personal pronouns (I, We, You, He, She, It, They). For example,
1. I am a teacher.  2. You are students.  3. It is a desk.  4. He is very good in English. 5. She is weak in her studies.  6. John and Mary do not complete their exercises, they are lazy stuents.

Then you can start the use of the forms of verb �be � in the continous tenses, and so on.

4 Jul 2009     

tugce-cenk
Turkey

Thanks for your help. 

5 Jul 2009