Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > What to plan for the first class?    

What to plan for the first class?

Emy Lee
Canada

What to plan for the first class?

Hello everyone,

Starting this Monday, I �m going to tutor a young man who is mainly interested in conversation. The thing is, that �s about all I know about him Pinch When my coordinator gave me the assignment, he didn �t brief me about the student �s level nor his personal interests - because he didn �t know himself. I guess I �ll figure all out when I �ll meet him Tongue.

I find it hard to plan something for the first day. I thought of having a general conversation to get to know him better and check his level, but I would like to plan something more interesting, more original. I �m also looking for something suitable for any level, just in case.

Anybody has a suggestion? Thanks a million!!

5 Jul 2009      

Apodo
Australia

I also tutor a young man.
At our first meeting I used a sheet which someone had given me.
It listed; Name, Family members, pets, Favourite music, singer, movie, food, Hobbies etc.
There was space under each item-I asked questions and jotted down notes for use in later lessons - lots of miming if your student is at beginner level ;-)
It was a good starter - and it meant I didn �t have to rely on memory.

5 Jul 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

An activity you could use is "Three People I know" - give him maybe nine pieces of paper that he can wirte short sentences on about three people -
His name is Dave.
She lives in Australia.
She �s allergic to cheese.
And do the same for yourself, then you have to look at the sentence and try to guess who the person is - brother, mother, friend, partner, colleague.

That way, you can chat to the student about themselves too.
She �s from Australia.
Is that your sister?
Yes.
Wow - have you ever visited her? (What other countries have you visited? Where are you going on your next holiday?)

Also, it works for any level as you can vary your conversation from their first sentence.

Good luck :)

5 Jul 2009     

Emy Lee
Canada

Very useful ideas guys!! Thanks a lot!!! Big smile

5 Jul 2009