Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Organising resources    

Organising resources

Nawrocki
Australia

Organising resources

Hi all and thanks for all of your wonderful contributions. My creative juices are always juicy because I get so inspired by all of your wonderful ideas.

I was wondering how you all organise your resources, because my house is getting crowded and my husband complains about the mess my stuff makes.

For example how do you organise your games so you can find them.
HOw do you file hard copy wss.
At the moment i have three filing cabinets. One drawer is for grammar, one draw is for numercacy etc.
What do others do?
Please let me know so I can organise so that i can find things easily.
I have to do it at home because I can �t do it at work.
Thanks

6 Jul 2009      

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi Nawrocki
I have the same probem Embarrassed!
That �s what I do: I put my resources in paper boxes  writing on them  their content .
I hope this can help !

6 Jul 2009     

mjpa
Spain

I have the same problem Nawrocki. In the last days I�ve been preparing several lessons because this month I started with new groups. And I have such a mess of photocopies, games and things that you can not imagine.
The problem is that, if I download things from this site and I keep them in the computer, but i don�t print them, later, i forget about them. If I print them so as to have them more in hand, in the end i come across so many papers that i get mad.
And the worst of all is that when i try to organise them, i make it worse, because i know more or less where everything is, but when i try to tidy up i change things from their previous place so i forget where they are now.
So, as you can see, my example is not a good one. I can�t advise you,  because, surely, you would get mad.

6 Jul 2009     

donapeter
Romania

I do all the work on my computer. I don �t waste paper to print more than I need. I feel that i can be more organized using folders in my computer than using real paper. I hardly use the same worksheets again, so I keep everything in the computer. The worst part is that I take viruses all the time ( or the viruses come to me), so...my documents aren �t 100% safe.
D

6 Jul 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I sympathise with you all. I haven �t found a good system either. I keep changing it. To make matters worse I am in charge of resources at school so I continually have people asking where they can find things...and they never return them to the correct place!!!!!
Guess all teachers are bits of hoarders!!!
Cheers Joy

6 Jul 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello Nawrocki,

Well, I don �t photocopy the resources I download from here. All I do is create folders as categories and name them like Health, Environment, Grammar, etc...... Then, I store all my downloaded files under the suitable folder. I store them all in my PC as well as in my USB.

This way I save space at my place and photocopy only the worksheets I need. It �s also easier to select your worksheets coz they are already saved under categories.

Hope it helps you !!
Nebal

6 Jul 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Heart filing!!! 

I have big lever arch folders with polypockets in.  I have one for grammar and two for vocab.
The vocabulary section is organized alphabetically - I put as many worksheets as possible in a polypocket and then write a contents list for that wallet, with the name of the activity, the age/level it �s aimed at and what skills it uses.
The grammar folder is arranged with pockets for different verb tenses, a section on misc. grammar points and a section on festivals (in the order they happen in the year). 

I �m pretty good at remembering what section each thing is in when I �m looking for something and as I number the worksheets (A1 = adjectives, A2 = animals), I can easily file things away too.

T :)

P.S. That last bit should read "Theoretically I can easily file things away" as it tends to end up in a pile on the shelf until one day I have a big filing blitz!

6 Jul 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi, Yes I print out a copy of each worksheet and try (very hard) to organise them in folders according to the theme. Like you the sheets now seem to be overflowing but I keep adding to my �library �and I find it works better than having them on the computer because, as you say, I can never find them again. So far I have 10 folders but I can look up quickly what I need and I will know if I have too many on one subject etc... I have an �in box � (tray from Ikea) with the latests downloads in it and when the box is full I know it is time to sort them into folders. LOL As for games.... well I must admit mine end up all over the room too. So I have a cupboard which I use for my games and projects etc.. This has just had its once a year clear out. I think some of us are just not made to be tidy... (I speak for myself) My motto is... Ye who searches (under beds, behind cupboards etc.) will find.Approve
I wish you lots of fun with your sorting... I just wanted to answer you because you sound like me. (he he) My hubby moans about my �English corner � too.

Hugs from Germany  Yeti xx

6 Jul 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
I work more or less like Nebal. I store everything in an external drive ( a big, big one ). I have folders according to the grade ( 5th, 6th, 7th... grade ), then inside each one of these folders I have others according to several topics; some I organize by language functions ( identifying, which would have all printables related to first name, surname, numbers, age, address, phone number ... ), likes and dislikes, daily routine, asking the way, etc,etc...
Then I also have some vocabulary folders - animals, school, food, drinks, etc,etc... as well as grammar worksheets, by topics - plurals, possessive case, simple present, will future etc,etc...

I also have a huge folder with pictures and clipart, also organized, more or less with the same topics.

It looks pretty, doesn �t it? Well, my problem is that I ALWAYS have several folder with the name " to classify 1 ", " to classify 2 ", " to classify 3 ".
So, most frequently what I need is in one of those folders and then, all my pretty organization proves to be useless.Confused

Hope I have helped, though I am not sure.
hugs

6 Jul 2009     

Silvy_E
United States

Pretty much the same as others members. I  have  folders with Idioms, Prepositions and flashcards.

Take care,

S

6 Jul 2009     

shelly_pamm
Brazil

Hello Nawrocki,
Well, the activities I download from here, I keep them in my computer. When I save the file I name them in this order: 1st the type of ws (like grammar, vocabulary, speaking activity, song activity); 2nd the topic or theme (like simple present, present perfect, crime, law ...); 3rd the title of the worksheet; 4th the name of the author (like Mena, Nebal, Zailda ...). Besides this, I also record the activities in Cds so I have lots of cds on my shelf named Grammar activities; Vocabulary activities; speaking activities ...
The activities I �ve already printed, I keep them in folders just like the others colleagues mentioned. I have even an specific shelf to keep my activities and any other thing to be used in classroom.

Hugs,
Michelle Smile

6 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >