Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it an office ?    

Is it an office ?

miss noor
Palestine

Is it an office ?

Hi,

Please tell me
What is the table in the picture below called ?
I know it is a desk but can we call it an office ??

Thanks a lot

12 Jul 2009      

verybouncyperson
Spain

I would say only "desk" - office for me refers to the room/building in which you work.  Another option might be "workspace"...

12 Jul 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree with verybouncyperson.

12 Jul 2009     

libertybelle
United States

or an office desk is fine.

12 Jul 2009     

arisdely
Ecuador

desk......office is the place where you work.... office desk as liberty says is ok too.... have a nice day!!

12 Jul 2009     

marileia
Greece

I think I know why miss noor is confused. In Greek we have one word for both the piece of furniture and the room and we understand from the context which one the speaker means. Maybe this is something that happens in other languages too.But in English when we say "desk" we mean the piece of furniture while "office" is the room. We can always use the first noun in a row to characterize the second one, so "office desk" is the desk in the office.�

13 Jul 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

I think I know why miss noor is confused. In Greek we have one word for both the piece of furniture and the room

yes. This is right.  In arabic we have one word for both the piece of furniture and the room

Thanks a lot all

13 Jul 2009     

redrover
United Kingdom

Another word instead of desk could be �bureau �. Not very commonly used these days, and a bureau looks a bit more fancy, made of real wood and so on. That definatlely can �t be called an office though, not in English anyway.

13 Jul 2009