Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > At long last my own class!    

At long last my own class!

Homeless Turtle
United States

At long last my own class!

I work in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher (A.L.T.) which means that normally I work in a supporting capacity under the English Teacher. Apparently they are very happy with my work because today I was informed that I would be getting my own class.This is great news and I am very excited about it. 

However I have a small problem... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO! I have two seventh grade classes and their level is extreme beginners. The classes last about 45 minutes.
     I was thinking about practicing directions by playing "Take the astronaut to the moon which works a lot like "pin the tale on the donkey." But right now I am open to anything. Any Ideas or advice would be most appreciated, thank you.

14 Jul 2009      

anyteacher
Argentina

Hi George!
My name is Anal�a and I �m from Argentina. First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!! for your new job. Now, if they are happy with your work it �s because YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. Probably you need to organize the contents but two periods of 45 � isn �t too much. Here in Argentina we have the same time in 7� year (11 or 12 years old) and they are extreme beginners too because in Primary Schools they don �t have English until 7� year. It �s their first experience. Can you choose a book? What kind of resources have you got? I guess in Japan you have got all the tecnology, haven �t you? I like TOTAL ENGLISH STARTER by Pearson Longman. The new Flexicourse version includes WB. St. book contains a cd rom with extra activities and the teachers contains a test cd with evaluations, a film bank cd and worksheets to do. It �s very funny and involves the whole class. You can find more resources according with each unit contents and vocabulary in a companion website  www.longman.com/totalenglish
I hope my advices can be helpful. Answer me to give more details. Keep in touch Any

14 Jul 2009     

LaSensei
Japan

That �s great news!  I �m in Japan too and I work as a jr high and elementary school ALT.  You can use some games for anything.  Jeopardy is one example.  The books we have at our schools are boring, so I �m all about teaching thru games.  There are good games on this site, and on genkienglish.com, too.  Also, just cuz the games are supposed to be for elementary, the ichinensei in JHS (and even the older ones too, haha) will love them.  They also respond well and enthusiastically if you encorporate some characters like Daremon, Pikachu, Anpanman, etc, into your lessons.

I just uploaded (for you Wink) two Jeopardy games that were very successful in my classes.  Here it is if you want to use them:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=259475#thetop

Feel free to PM me with any questions!  since we both work in Japan JHS, I �m happy to help ya!  GANBATTE!

PS- I �m in Kansai region, near Himeji. How about you?

14 Jul 2009     

genzianella
Italy

CONGRATS GEORGE! you must have done a spectacular job if they gave you your own class!!! You will find plenty of stuff here, with that and your enthusiasm and skills your students will adore you!

14 Jul 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi George,

You have already gotten some good advice, so all I can say is to start with some icebreakers.

Carla

14 Jul 2009     

Homeless Turtle
United States

Thank you everybody for all your wonderful ideas and advice! I will do my best to try and incorporate it all in my lessons! 

15 Jul 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

CONGRATULATIONS GEORGE!!!! I totally agree that if you �ve been given the chance to have your own class is because you OBVIOUSLY know what to do. It �s just the nerves of the first days... but in no time you �ll be - like we say in Spanish "como pez en el agua" - which means to do something as if you �d always done it!!!

Hugs!!!!

Mar

15 Jul 2009