Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Introducing Irregular Adjectives    

Introducing Irregular Adjectives

David Lisgo
Japan

Introducing Irregular Adjectives

Hi,

I was ask why I included "good" in my adjective cards which focussed on �-er � and �est � as it would obviously be changed to �gooder � and �goodest � by young beginners. Well, native speakers do use these words but it �s in word-play and not recommended for ESL speakers, though we do use the term �do-gooder � and we all know that "goodest" is almost as good as  �bestest � . I deliberately included "good" so that when a child uses "gooder" or  "goodest" then we can use this as a teaching opportunity to introduce one of the irregular adjectives.  Sometimes students will suspect something is wrong with "gooder" or "goodest" because teachers may often use the words �better � and �best � when speaking to their students even though the students don �t understand the words. In retrospect I think I should have included �bad � also. 

How do you first introduce irregular adjectives?

17 Jul 2009      

Silvy_E
United States

Hi David:

I just introduce them as "BE CAREFUL � words. I have a ladybug toy , so each time it �s "flying", it  means there is something "different � students should pay attention to. It works for me.
Don �t know if I answered  your ?

Bye now,

Silvy

17 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I call them special traps - kids like playing games with traps, which everybody thinks they can �t get over and then when they do they feel great. I start with the alphabet - when we come to �h � or �y � those are super special traps - I tell them that the people who invented English set these traps as some kind of a special code, and who passes those traps, earns the right to speak English (sth like that). They love it, and, naturally, learn to overcome the traps very quickly. When we come to irregular spelling, verbs or sth like that, they just wink at me and say "Another trap, ha?" One of my sts calls them mines, because he likes to play minesweeper.

17 Jul 2009