Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > There is, There are    

There is, There are

HOLYMARY_852
India

There is, There are

We usually use the phrases �There is � or �There are � in the beginning of sentences. But what do we call this in English Grammar. How to explain this to students?

18 Jul 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I usually tell them this is how you start a sentence to describe a place, picture or situation, to show what is situated there or part of sth.
edit: sorry, I see you meant the name for it. My high school English teacher called it the descriptive sentence introduction, though I don´t remember anyone ever telling us (even at university) the official name for it. You make an interesting point. Though I´m not big on names - ´A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.´Wink

18 Jul 2009     

mjpa
Spain

Impersonal subject?

18 Jul 2009     

meteorit91
Moldova

There is ,There are   are constructions we use when we want to say the location of an object/objects or a person,an animal ...and we use the prepositions of place.eg. There is a dog under the bed.

It - is an impersonal pronoun when we talk about weather ,e.g. It snows. It is cold.

18 Jul 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

According to David Crystal, when we want to bring the content of a whole clause to the attention of the reader/listener, we can use a construction where the first few words have no meaning and so don �t detract from the important information of the clause. The principal means is to use there is/ there are. This is known as an �empty theme � (sometimes �dummy theme �) or the �existential there �.  
eg There are lots of fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Shouldn �t be confused with there as an adverb of place ( THERE they are! Over there!)

So, �empty � or �dummy � theme, anyone?

18 Jul 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

Thanks everyone for the clarification.

18 Jul 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Parrott calls them �dummy subjects �,  while Swan simply refers to �a kind of preparatory subject �.

18 Jul 2009