Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Working with films    

Working with films

Nereis
Argentina

Working with films

I want to work with films with my students because they love it, but I don �t know if they should watch a subtitled film in their own language or in English ,or it depends on the children �s age. I afraid they feel dissapointed if they don �t undestand the film. What should I do?

18 Jul 2009      

lynn_28
Costa Rica

Hi!! I have used films for children from 7 to 13 years old and with teenager and I always watch it without any subtitles, I always tell them: this is the english class, so everything is in English no Spanish at all (no matter the grade) .

I don�t know how old your children are ,but last class I used the movie "monsters vs aliens" to review the use of some structures with 4th grade and "enchanted" with 1st grade and they obviously didnt understand all the film,but much they took out of context (images and actions of characters) and got clear the vocabulary that I was looking for to review. So in my case the films have worked just fine without subtitles.  Hope this helps you decide! Smile

18 Jul 2009     

celia86
Argentina

Hi there!
I agree. I do not think you should use subtitles, unless you �re checking the spelling of specific vocabulary.
I have a group of students who are in a pre intermediate level (they �re 12 to 15) and I worked with the film "coraline" WITHOUT SUBTITLES and they did perfectly ok. That is one of my worksheets, check it and see if you can use it
Hope it is useful
Good luck! 

18 Jul 2009     

jean pierre
Argentina

I think that depends on the approoach. If you have an exercise to work on, I mean a scene, do not use captions but if you are cagoing to watch the WHOLE film, use captions in English. Because they will misbehave as they won �t understand.

18 Jul 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I do not use films with subtitles and have never worked  complete film with low levels, but scenes which we explode with different activities.

18 Jul 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

If you have to add subtitles to a movie, it might mean your movie is not at the level of your students. You have 2 possibilities: prepare your students to the movie by breaking it down  into chapters and do activities/vocabulary before showing it
or
pick another movie.

18 Jul 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

I �ve worked with the film "the wrong trousers" (with gromit and wallace) with kids from 6 -8 without subtitles. One chapter at a time and working with vocabulary and activities. At first it was difficult for them to understand all the vocabulary but in the end they understood all the movie.
There are some movies specially made to use in class. 

19 Jul 2009