Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need new ideas, S.O.S. Can you help me?    

I need new ideas, S.O.S. Can you help me?

polentinoy
Venezuela

I need new ideas, S.O.S. Can you help me?

Hi everybody, I �m teaching english for specific purposes  here in venezuela (latin america) , my students need to learn how to understand readings in english, they don�t need to speak it or writing it, just translate it into spanish. I have used the scanning and skimming strategies..can you tell me new ones?

thanks a lot!!

20 Jul 2009      

lomasbello
Venezuela

Hi,

Predicting from the pictures if the readings has any. Also look for the false and true cognates, prefixes and suffixes so thay they can infer what the reading is about!! It depends on the topic of the reading. Also, you can ask divide the reading into 3 steps: Pre- reading, while reading and post reading.

Pre reading are the activities I mentioned above

While reading are scanning and skimming strategies

Post reading are questions you can ask them in order to know if the reading is about what they thought once the predicted from pictures or title.

Hope it helps

M.A.

20 Jul 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

how about grammar?
find all verbs in present / past?
rewrite the story in present to past?
association game with the key words from the story...
prefixes - suffixes as Lomasbello advised
find all nouns / adjectives / verbs / phrasal verbs / adverbs in paragraph xx
find the keywords, mime the keywords
find the sentences + rephrase them
make a new ending...

really there are hundreds of things you can do with a story...
paint pictures with one group
second class should put the pictures in the right order...
do the students know similar story / film
compare 2 stories
implement geography / history / science facts and info...

after a few lessons give them the same story cut into 12 pieces - students must solve the puzzle...

my imagination is going wild... really if you have to focus on stories only, you can do whatever you like - prepare drama play from the story...
anything...

20 Jul 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

and don �t forget to read AFTAB57 forum posts ... he suggests / uploads many ELS materials and links...
This document full of links is a must :-)
http://www.mediafire.com/?u0l0bmy0jjm

aftab57 forum suggestions and posts
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/search.asp?query=&username=aftab57&fromday=0&frommonth=0&fromyear=0&today=0&tomonth=0&toyear=0&B4=Search

Good luck and let us know how you are doing...
Embarrassed

20 Jul 2009