Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I could use some advice    

I could use some advice

fletsch
Canada

I could use some advice

Hey everyone:

I have just gotten a part-time job tutoring a 35 year old Chinese women who speak basically no English (she knows 1-10, hello, goodbye, etc.)  I have never taught someone at this basic level beforethat was an adult.  I usually teach intermediate - advanced University students.  Can someone give me some advice or some methods I should use.  I don �t want to talk to her like she is a child, but it needs to be pretty darn basic.  Thanks for your help...

Cheers from China,

Fletsch

21 Jul 2009      

dory827
Israel

Hi Fletsch,
First of all, for speaking - start with the very basic q/a type activities. If your student doesn �t read, incorporate small pics.
For example:
How are you?
I �m fine.
Prepare small cards with the �smiley � feelings such as: I �m hot,happy,  cold, thirsty etc. (you can find them in word clipart)
Cut out the small cards with the faces, turn over the pile and say: I �m fine. How are you?
Student picks  card and says: I �m happy. How are you? You then pick a card etc.
Use the same technique for What �s your name? Make small cards with pics of well known people.
In addition, teach groups of topic words (all the basics - days, numbers, colors etc.

Good Luck
Dory

21 Jul 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Dory �s advice is quite useful. I think it could also be useful to get a course book and it can help you out, it will at least give you ideas and lesson plans and will make your student gradually �get � the language...for Ss who have very basic knowledge I �d recommend New headway Beginner, I used it with Ss who had no idea about English and it really helped them to get involved. 

21 Jul 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I sent you a PM.

21 Jul 2009     

szamoca
Hungary

I agree with Kate New Headway Beginner is very good for adults. I �ve used it in one to one teaching with adults and it really worked. Adults at this age usually like to have a book which they can rely on. Try to bring in games whenever you can.( criss cross , puzzles etc) You �ll be amazed that even adults like playing. Prize them to build up their confidence. In my evening classes I usually practice pronunciation ( new words) in chorus repetition to avoid embarrassement. Practice short conversations: repetition after the tape,( twice)  in pairs, change roles and ask them to act it out. I hope it helps. Good luck!

21 Jul 2009     

ninabonita
Philippines

I didn �t have access to books when i first taught ESL to Chinese SS. with adults I searched the net for pictures and started with verbs and greetings. Then i introduce simple adjectives and use it as much as possible, addiding new words everyonce in awhile. But, i do understand that each Ss has hs/her own learning style and pace.  Patience, patience, Patience *winks*

Nina

21 Jul 2009     

yingying
China

Maybe you can start with somthing familiar with her like her job, her family, her interest and background. As a Chinese myself, I can tell you we are ,generally speaking, quite afraid of making mistakes, especially having stage fright. So building confidence is very essential and Chinese are also pragmatic in a way that we really want to put what we learn in practice.  So conversational English may be a good start. Take her to have a shopping trip in  big shopping malls or ordering some drinks in Starbucks or Mcdonald can be interesting. Hope this will be useful to you.

21 Jul 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Fletsch,
When I first came to Hong Kong I could not even say "thanks" in Cantonese but I learned it quickly and added some greetings, basic vocab (food, drink etc) and now I can say a few more  things. LOL  I would try to get objects she sees every day and teach the vocab for those.  We learn nouns first then verbs.  Adults should probably do the same.  Since she already has a mother tongue it would help to get bilingual flashcards.  That way she can compare the Chinese and English side by side.

21 Jul 2009     

silpont
Argentina

Hi Fletsch how r u?. Hope you are fine!. What I can suggest you, as I ve been working with non english speakers adults is to start up by teaching useful every day language such as how r u?. fine , thank you,  asking for personal info, age, address, country. By doing this, you will be also teaching the beginning of verb to be which is important to begin with, more important than beginning showing colors, or objects as the  are grown ups. Then a piece of advice would be to talk about his/ her family, and here you may include verb to be 3rd person. Then you could continue teaching have and has got following the same patterns. Well I hope you find my answer useful, if you have any other question,  dont doubt to ask!
Regards.
Silvi.

21 Jul 2009     

silpont
Argentina

Good luck!Smile
Silvi.

21 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi, Fletsch, I �m glad so many people have already helped. I was looking for detailed notes on this same problems which I sent to a member of this site (sorry, can �t remember the name) last month, but I don �t have it saved and can �t find it anywhere. I only have sth I sent to a lady about teaching teenagers in a similar situation. But I agree with the people here - use cards, word cards and flashcards, and never underestimate the power of games - adults love playing word games (a simple memory game where you have to find a pair of a pic and its owrd is great)- games break the ice and the shame grown-ups usually feel when learning a new language(and that slows down their learning process). As for books, I liked Cutting Edge Starter and Elementary - they have lots of activities, and the teacher �s books are really rich in the usual and additional (games) materials. Hope it works out well - the first couple of lessons will be a bit awkward maybe, but then you both relax and it goes well. Best of luck, dear colleague!
Anita

21 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >