Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching English to kids who can īt read yet!!!    

Teaching English to kids who can īt read yet!!!

inesclaudiarc
Portugal

Teaching English to kids who can īt read yet!!!

Hi everyone!

I think I īm going to teach English to 5 or 6 year old children who probably know some letters of the alphabet but are nonetheless unable to read.

Do you have any experience with such young kids? What kind of materials do you use? Which activities would you suggest? It would be great if you could post some links to your own wss or to other users � wss. I tried to search for printables by age, but almost all the first wss that appeared had far too many words in my opinion... some of them had texts... is that suitable for kids that may not be able to read yet?!

Thank you all :) Hug

22 Jul 2009      

mjpa
Spain

I think you should try to use many songs and plays.
Moreover, start teaching them the numbers, the colours and those things. Think about the first things you learnt in your own language when you were at school.
And use sheets with many drawings and things like that so as to catch their attention. I think in today or yesterday contributions there was a worksheet to practise the numbers and colours. It was quite good.

22 Jul 2009     

mjpa
Spain

This is not the worksheet I was talking about, but it is a very good one too. Just to have an idea. Itīs by Victor who has many others which maybe could help you.

Take a look.

And take a look as well to Victor worksheets if you want.

22 Jul 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Take a look here might spark some ideas.

22 Jul 2009     

inesclaudiarc
Portugal

so many prompt replies :) Thanks a lot!! I liked your ideas and I īm going to check Victor īs wss. I also liked the website! Thank you all!

22 Jul 2009     

Ratu
Argentina

I work as a kinder teacher (with 4-year-olds), I haven īt upload ws I use with them yet (well, I upload one yesterday but I forgot it was suposed to have something to read so as it to be a ESL resourse and it got removed, my bad! sorry!) If you are itnerested, I can upload some of my lesson plans and add those ws there.

Do you have to work with some special topics or whatever you want? Of course the topics are usually the same (numbers, colors, clothes, toys, family, animals, etc).

Kisses
Ale

22 Jul 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Use of:

songs
games
muppets
matching drawings/saying the words
drawing and colouring (what the teacher describes)
describing pictures

there are lots of activities you can carry out!
they are like sponges at that ageSmile

Some very good sites:

http://genkienglish.net/kindergarten.htm

http://www.english-4kids.com/nursery.html

http://www.esl-kids.com/

Good luck!Thumbs Up

22 Jul 2009     

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Hello darling!!!
To work with the little ones, will require a lot from you, in order to prepare a lot of matyerial, use many flash cards, lots of songs and games... prepare colored stuff and tell them stories, evem if they don īt understand they love stories, but short ones... and repeat the same stry many times, and they will memorize it easily!!! Prepare your classroom with posters, and read them and make them repeat... use different voice intonation when telling the stories, use puppets, they love puppets!!! Play with them, be patient, be creative, be organized, teach gracefully and happily and for sure the results will be wonderful!!! 
E-mail me and I īll try to send you some important material for you!!!
Good luck!!!
Kisses,
Thalia

22 Jul 2009     

inesclaudiarc
Portugal

You are all really nice :) I wasn īt expecting so many answers, but your help is really important for me!

I īm going to teach 4 children at home... I think you īre tips are veryyyy useful!

Thanks again :)

23 Jul 2009     

inesclaudiarc
Portugal

not "you īre tips"................ but "your tips"!! I must get some sleep!

23 Jul 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi, I teach kindergarten kids and use lots of songs and games. I love the songs from

www.supersimplesongs.com  you can watch the videos and see how it works. If you want to swap ideas then drop me a PM. Hugs from Germany Yeti xx

23 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >