Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > you and me or you and i?    

you and me or you and i?

mylena87
Brazil

you and me or you and i?

hello dear teachers....

i would like some help on the difference between you and i and you and me! r them the same???? whats the difference? when should i use each one?

27 Jul 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I is a subject, me is an object.... so...

1. You and I will be travelling to England on the 12th of August.

but....

2. If they look throught the window, they will be able to see both you and me.

That �s how I was taught... Naturally, spoken modern English is more flexible and in everyday speech you will find both mixed, though it doesn �t mean it �s correct.
Anita

27 Jul 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

It depends on the usage of each phrase. If the subject is being talked about it is "You and I".  "You and me" is usually used for the object. A good rule of thumb is to take away the first pronoun and see if the sentence still makes sense or is correct grammatically.

27 Jul 2009     

mylena87
Brazil

thx for the help guys...

27 Jul 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

you and I=we
you and me=us
so to know which one to use , you can decide about  which one gives the meaning(we or us).
hope it helps
miyoko

27 Jul 2009     

anakarenfontanilla
Philippines

you and I =Used as Nominative Function of Noun (Subject, Subject Complement, Direct Address or Appositive)

you and me= used as Objective Functions of Nouns (Direct Object, Indirect Object, Object of Preposition)

You can research these functions of nouns via internet also.

God Bless!

Ana

5 Aug 2009