Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELP PLEASE? I NEED AN EXPERT OPINION.    

HELP PLEASE? I NEED AN EXPERT OPINION.

HOLYMARY_852
India

HELP PLEASE? I NEED AN EXPERT OPINION.

Is any of the following sentences incorrect? If not, which is more appropriate for British speakers?

Has he a car?
Has he got a car?
Does he has a car?

6 Aug 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

I would say the second is correct and used in Britain.

6 Aug 2009     

puss in boots
Argentina

The second one is the best choice!

6 Aug 2009     

lyny
Mexico

second is for UK and third is wrong.
Does he have? is right

6 Aug 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I agree. The second one is the best option. I believe the first and the last one are incorrect.

6 Aug 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

Yes, me too. The first one should include "got" and in the last one you have to change has to have. So the only correct sentence there is the second.

6 Aug 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Yes, the second one... no doubt about that

6 Aug 2009     

milenagf
Argentina

The second is the onlyone which is correct and used in UK! number 1 lacks "got" and in number 3 you should change "has" into "have". after you �ve corrected it, that would be the best choice for American English.

6 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

ALL of them are correct... Though "Has he a car?" .. is a bit strange sounding to most people however it is also quite correct. You don �t actually need the particle "got", as it just re-enforces the idea of possession, but most people do tend to add it on because it sounds better.

PS. It should be:  Does he have?

6 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Actually, and as far as grammar correctness is concerned, we have only two possible question forms when asking about possession of sth.. Here, it is "a car".
1-Does he have a car?
2-Has he got a car?

I don �t think the "Has he a car?" is grammatically correct. Personally I �ve never read it in any of my grammar books. I have always heard my colleagues saying "Have/has you/he got ...?".
I prefer "Do/Does you/she have ...?".

But, I can believe that "Has he a car?" is current in daily life language for today �s native speakers. "Have" (=have/has/had) in the interrogative if it is not with "do/does/did or got" for possession it must be followed by a past participle of an action verb which ends in a Yes/No question about the fulfilment or not of an action.

But if it is grammatically correct I just ask to have a reference.

6 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

Oh please - Ermm... do not make me cite sources... It is in "A Practical English Grammar" by Oxford Press, "English Grammar in Use" Cambridge Press .. I can even give you page and so forth.

Weblinks:

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/verbtohave.html

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/have

6 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >