Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sad :(    

Sad :(

manonski (f)
Canada

I can �t really comment about the printable that is being discussed in this thread. I �m not really active in the moderating section these weeks since I �m enjoying my summer vacations.
It shows that the definition of an ESL resource depends on what we do with the printable. When you work with young children, a picture can become an ESL resource. Yesterday, someone raised the point on how important it is to use the description box (that presents our printable when we upload) very wisely. If we think that  people might not "get" the purpose of our work, we need to explain properly how to use the material and make them see the usefulness of the printable.
I don �t really care if the comments are made public on this website. When I write a comment, I �m aware it becomes public for a lot of people on this site. I stand by my words and when I don �t want them public, I use PM or just vote without writing a message. As David says, most moderators are doing a great job at it. Personally, all the comments I �ve read were ok, whether I agree with them or not.  Maybe there is something I don �t get from those who are offended or in disagreement.

Well, have a good day everybody. I �m out for a late breakfast!

9 Aug 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I am at a loss as well.  I certainly can understand that the worksheet was deleted because it didn �t have instructions.  But, when is the alphabet without instructions not an esl resource.  I teach adults and I have a copy of the alphabet without instuctions on it, which I use all the time.  I think with some worksheets we can use our judgement as to how they are to be used. 
I am not saying the moderators are doing a poor job, I commend them for the time and effort they are giving to this site.  I do believe, however, that there should be more guidelines so that we are not faced with these kinds of situations.

9 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

""I �m disappointed that you made the moderators comments public": is this a real argument? Is sounds a little paternalistic, doesn �t it?"

Well, I don �t see anything paternalistic in that. It �s obvious that some moderators wish their comments to remain between moderators and others don �t mind them being made public, I �m one of the former. And I �m not arguing with Jecika, I �m just expressing a personal opinion.

What is the meaning of "to preserve the integrity of ESLPrintables"? 

Most of the moderating is simply confirming and voting to delete plagiarised worksheets or worksheets stolen from other members of this community and to a lesser extent reporting such worksheets, this is what I mean about preserving integrity. I think all active moderators see these tasks as important.

Regards,
David

9 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Well David, an argument (even a personal opinion) is something like this:
I think comments should(n �t) remain between moderators, because... unless...

When someone says: I �m disappointed that you... (s)he telling the other that he/she didn �t convey to what you were expecting from her/him, see what I mean? Sounds as if you are scolding him/her: You are a disappointment to me... You are judging the person, not assessing her thoughts. I guess you will agree with me that there are better communication/debate strategies. Will you?
On the other hand, eng789 made a real, honest contribution to define some standards; (s)he actually meant: this is what I think. Since this subject turns up on a daily basis, which means it �s critical, talking abstractly on integrity doesn �t help much, does it? It (together with the whole message) only conveys the idea that you don �t agree with her, for reasons that weren �t stated.

Have a nice day, David.

9 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Now I understand what you were getting at �nika �. It �s just my style of writing. I suppose I presumed too much of the listeners and left some things unsaid. Anyway it �s not so important and it �s late (1;15 a.m.).
So I �m signing off.

9 Aug 2009     

Portugal

, David.

9 Aug 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

ahhhhhh the joys of internet forums... Where the written word can have so many different connotations/ interpretations/ misunderstandings depending on who is reading...

Personally I didn �t get any paternalistic meaning in David �s comments.. just a statement of how he is feeling with regards to the content of the original post.

We all don �t know each other in real life, how we talk, how we communicate usually... I really do not feel that there was any bad intentions felt or meant in his comment. From the little I know of David, is that he is a careful considerate moderator (from his comments that he leaves).

Let �s get this thread back on track which is why the original worksheet was deleted. If there was NO description of the activity then I would say that would not have helped. There is no reason why this activity cannot be re uploaded with a great description and activity!

:-)

9 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear, colleagues.
I voted this WS to be removed because it didn �t include any activity or directions on how to use it when it was reported. Not even a clear description on the preview page. Any game is accompanied with directions and tips as for how to use/play it. This one was only a grid full of alphabet letters.
However, I don �t agree with the idea if the author gives a somehow acceptable description the WS should stay even if the directions and/or activities aren �t included it the WS itself. Sorry, but when I download a WS, I am not obliged to come to the site each time I want to use to check how it is to be used.

The reporting page is not a secret. Yes, people under 1,000 points can �t get in in order not to vote. However, not only WS from members under 1000 points are reported every day.

9 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2