Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Activities after the summer holidays    

Activities after the summer holidays

Mulle
Denmark

Activities after the summer holidays

Dear colleagues,
I am seeing a  new English group consisting of former and new students on Wednesday. I want their first two lessons (90 minutes) to be good. They will be starting their 5th year of English. They have been exposed to some strategies from cooperative learning so I was hoping to be able to come up with something totally different. What do you do on the first day back from the summer holidays? I would be happy to be inspired by you! Thank you in advance.

10 Aug 2009      

JudyHalevi
Israel

I always begin a new session of English, (with students who can speak a bit) with a debate.

eg:  What is the ideal age to get married?
       What is important to you in your job?
       Should couples who are unhappy stay together because of the children?
       What is your opinion of arranged marriages?
       Is it okay for a man to cry?

Have fun!!

JudyHug

10 Aug 2009     

Mulle
Denmark

I forgot to mention in my description that the students are 12/13-year-olds! I am afraid the suggested questions will be "too" advanced for them, Judy. But thank you for your suggestions.

I can work on the idea of question - answer (debate). I would love other suggestions, though. Don �t hesitate to bring ideas forward. Thank you!

10 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Ok, teenage discussions:

Do you think your parents are too involved in your life?
How much time is too much to be on the computer?
How much time is too much to be watching tv?
Whose responsibility is homework,  the student or the parent?

Write new words on the board.  Just get them talking.

Have fun!

10 Aug 2009     

hongduyen
Vietnam

It may be a good idea if you try letting your ss work in group to translate their names into English, then each group leader will introduce their new friend to the whole class using the English names, the ss then guess the original names. It would be great fun!

10 Aug 2009     

discretissime
France

Why not organizing a sort of "treasure hunt"?
- Give a simple list of challenges to your students. For example:
1. Find someone in the class who has got a pet
2. Find someone in the class who is an only child
3. Find someone in the class who is not thirteen yet
etc...
- Then tell them to move around the class and ask their friends for the given information. They should speak English of course, for example:
"x, how old are you?" "y, have you got a pet?" "z, have you got brothers and sisters?"
- When this is done, ask them to report what they �ve found. For instance:
"I �ve found someone who is not thirteen yet. It is ..." "No one in the class is an only child"
You can even make statistics if you like.

It �s a good activity to revise simple questions and answers and it establishes a relaxed atmosphere especially if the kids don �t know each other well.

10 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I try to do revision and warming-up with games because it also motivates students. There are plenty of nice games among the uploads here which make students forget they �re actually revising... 

10 Aug 2009     

totya ( F )
Palestine

First, thank you Mulle for introducing this idea because it �s really a problem for me.
Then, I want to thank you discretissime for your suggestion , I like it !

10 Aug 2009     

Songlessons
Ukraine

I would use a scavenger hunt game. Prepare a list of things they need to find. The lists could include something like find something shiny, find something smelly, find snow or even find three mosquitoes! The list can be either usual, or unexpected or both! 

Then unite your class into 2 or more groups, hand out the lists and set the time limits, say 15 minutes to collect everything on the list. After that you need to check whether the groups managed to complete the task. You can organise a group of experts (including you) who would put every object into question! The groups will have then to explain why they �ve brought exactly what they had to. Trust me, children can be soooo creative! Once in a summer camp we asked children to find snow. And they brought water. when I with an expert-like face asked them what was that, they replied: �Snow. It has melted before you managed to get to our group. You know, summer, high temperatures... � It can be a lot of fun!!!

After all the things are collected and checked, you can ask the students to make something out of the things they have collected. For example, the ideal teacher. Again you give them some time and check after the time runs out. The students present their teachers. You can ask them why they think that their creation is the ideal teacher. You also can ask them to explain every detail of their creation. 

Have fun!

10 Aug 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Her are some links for you:

10 Aug 2009