Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can we use the pronouns "Who", "He" and "She" with animals? Can anyone clear my doubt?    

Can we use the pronouns "Who", "He" and "She" with animals? Can anyone clear my doubt?

HOLYMARY_852
India

Can we use the pronouns "Who", "He" and "She" with animals? Can anyone clear my doubt?

12 Aug 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I �ve been taught that you can when it �s a specific animal, such as your pet, when you talk about it and gender is known, when it �s a story... though I �m not sure about who, I �d always use that... Using it for animals is when you speak about them in general...
e. g.
The tiger is a magnificent animal. It is one of the largest wild cats that can be found around the world...
but...
My dog Ben has been with our family for 13 years now and we all love him. I think he �s the bravest pets that anyone has ever seen.
Let �s hear from some other people, too...

12 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

As far as I know.

We use he/she with animals which have a name (our pets, those at the Zoo) for which you have some feeling and you already know. In those cases I would use "who" (not sure about "who" either...sorry).

12 Aug 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

I agree with anitarobi. I teach my kids that when they talk about their pets it �s possible to use he or she and that they have to use it to speak about animals in general.

Other opinions
Personal pronouns for animals:

12 Aug 2009