Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > THE ESL BOOK CLUB!    

THE ESL BOOK CLUB!

libertybelle
United States

THE ESL BOOK CLUB!

I just got a mail from Orit saying she is reading the same books that I ordered and that Ivona recommended!

We �re all teachers which pretty much means we �re all readers.
I have read about books on this board that I otherwise would never
have heard about.

Wouldn �t it be great to have a link with a list of all our favorite books??

But until then.......... WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS?

Hugs
L

19 Aug 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

The Time Traveler �s Wife, SnowFlower and the Secret Fan, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Angela �s Ashes,

The latest book that really blew my mind was Cutting For Stone (Abraham Verghese).

19 Aug 2009     

gilorit
Israel

Hi Manon
How are you friend?????????
I miss the rain in Canada !!! It is sssssooooooo hot here !!!
We seem to have the same taste.
i read a few books from your list...The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Angela �s Ashes, - I Got "The Teacher" by the same author of Angela �s Ashes , and I am reading it now. I like it a lot.
Hugs
Orit

19 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Doing awesome Orit. I saw the other post and I also read The Shadow of the Wind. Beautiful story.  That same author just released a book, Angel �s Game. Wonder if it �s good. Anyone read it?

Rain is gone here on my side of the world. We �ve been having a heat wave for over a week. I think today is the day it �s going to break. I �m lucky enough that my bedroom is in a basement. It makes sleeping a bit more bearable.

Going back to work on the 24th of August.

Love!

Manon

19 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Libertybelle, this is a difficult one; since I love books for different reasons, I �d say:

Top of the top

Love in the Time of Cholera

for all the simbolism involved, for how much intricate private and public life can be, for how much individal and collective destiny can intermingle, for how much language and narrative can empower each other.

For its uniqueness,
The Picture of Dorian Gray

19 Aug 2009     

ants
Switzerland

That �s a really good idea, Libertybelle!!Hug
Hi Manon and Orit...I seem to have the same taste as you two!!
I �ve read, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Angela �s Ashes, The Teacher (I enjoyed that a lot), I also like Paulo Coehlo �s books; I �ve read Blood River, The Namesake and many more!!!!
I �m reading with my bookclub group...A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
Orit, it �s very hot here too....!!
Fiona.

19 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Libertybelle,

You �re right about the list. Well, I started kind of a plan with my dear friend Marie ( Montypython) in which we decide together  on a list of books to read within a certain period of time. We read some books together and exchanged our analysis and comments. It �s a big amusement .

I don �t know if you like the idea coz Marie and I enjoyed it a lot.

As for my favorite books, I listed them in a previous post. Here are some of them.

1- "Possession" by A.S. Byatt A mystery where the clues lurk in university libraries, old letters and dusty journals. Together with Roland Michell, a fellow academic and accidental sleuth, Maud Bailey discovers a love affair between two Victorian writers.

2- " The French Lieutenant �s Woman" by John Fowles.book cover of 

The French Lieutenant ´s Woman 

by

John Fowles Tells the story of Charles Smithson �s infatuation with the unusual Sarah Woodruff, whilst being engaged to a young lady of a good family and a considerable dowry. The author re-creates the feel of a Victorian novel.

3- "The Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James book cover of 

The Portrait of a Lady 

by

Henry James
A classic novel in which young American Isabel Archer is eager to embrace life and makes her choice from the suitors who court her as she explores Europe.

4- " The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant book cover of 

The Necklace 

by

Guy de Maupassant 
After devoting their energies and income for ten years to replacing a borrowed diamond necklace which they have lost, a woman and her husband learn the irony of their efforts.

Hugs,
Nebal

19 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Nebal, I tried reading Possession but it �s one of the few books I never finished. I really wanted to like the book and I loved the movie but I gave up halfway.

19 Aug 2009     

spring
Turkey

Hello bookworms :)))
What a great topic.
It seems that many of us have the books of Frank Mccourt in our libraries. He is among my favourites. Also I can advise you TIMELINE by Michael Crichton and Dead Simple by Peter James.Lately I have been reading books of Adam Fawer,just finished Emphaty.
If you are interested in Turkish literature then read Z�lf� Livaneli �s Happiness.
As the years pass I see that the sort of books I am reading are changing.But there are always some fellow ones to be remembered from time to time beside my bed.
I am enthusiastically waiting for your favourite ones cos I wanna read and learn about them too.
See ya around..

P.S Don´t forget classics..
      Like Wuthering Heights :)))

19 Aug 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

I love 19th Century novels - French and English: Jane Austen, Balzac and many more.

The Kite Runner, A thousand splendid suns of course.

Tracy Chevalier (girl with the pearl earring, the lady and the unicorn)

A wonderful Israeli novel I can recommend: A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz.

lig25.gif picture by aimeesackstein

lig24.gif image by aimeesackstein

lig21.gif picture by aimeesackstein

19 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Good start everyone!
Make a whole list of books you like - you don �t only have to write one book!

I �m saving all your ideas!

Keep those good ideas coming!

I love:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Prophet
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- The Girl who Played with Fire,  (Steig Larsson)
Harry Potter Books
Narnia
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
A Walk to Remember (use it with my 9-10th graders)
An Incident of the Dog in the Night
Emma by Jane Austen
James Michener books  (Mexico,Chesapeake,  The Source, Hawaii etc)
The Pillars of the Earth
Most of Shakespeare
All of Dickens
The Hero �s Journey -Joseph Campbell
The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Shogun, Taipan, The Noble House - James Clavell
Angela �s Ashes, Teacher Man

More later!
Hugs
L

19 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >