Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching 2 -3 year olds    

Teaching 2 -3 year olds

gailna2
Nigeria

Teaching 2 -3 year olds

Hi Fellow Teachers!

I teach English reading in schools and have always had a problem with where to start. In My country , children as young as two or three are sent to school. Do i begin teachin letter names first or sounds to start them on the right track to reading earlier.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

21 Aug 2009      

vickyvar
Greece

Hello gailna2!
First of all I have to admit that I have never taught such young learners but I think it would be too difficult for them to start learning English by learning the letters. At that age they do not even know the letters in their mother tongue.
Anyway, what I would do is teach them simple and maybe funny words first such as animals, things etc and later on simple phrases.
Hope that I �ve been of help.

Wish you all the best.
vicky

21 Aug 2009     

gailna2
Nigeria

Thanks for responding Vickyvar. Maybe the question was not very clear. I live in Nigeria and most parents do not begin teaching their children in their mother tongue, they learn first in English especially in cities. That being said, which would you teach first-letter names or sounds.

21 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

If you have to teach reading and writing in English at such an early age, you will have to use both: image and sound so they can relate them.

21 Aug 2009     

lyny
Mexico

Hello, I worked some time ago with children, they loved vocabulay with toys, songs, I think they like songs a lot, balloons to learn colors for instance
Hugs 

21 Aug 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Oh, sorry I did not know what happens there. However, since they are so young I would definitely teach them words first and sounds and then letters. E.g. I would show them a flashcard with a dog and tell them the word "dog" etc. I think they do not learn to write at the age of 3 so there is no point in teaching them the alphabet. Maybe you can show them the word dog written and tell them the sounds /d/ - /o/ - /g/.
Maybe this helps?

21 Aug 2009     

gailna2
Nigeria

hmmm, thats introducing a new element: words then sounds then letters. I haven �t tried that/ have you used this?  Teaching both, that I have tried but I �m wondering if it is the best way. Do I say for instance, this is �a � it sounds /a/? Or do I show them an �a � and say /a/ instead of the letter name? I hope this makes my question clearer. It is not so much as what to teach but how to teach what.

21 Aug 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Yes, that is what I mean and I have tried that. It surely works better. They identify the sound and thus it is then easier to read even if they do not know the "name" of the specific letters. Later on they learn the letters � names and the alphabet. I have noticed that students who have started learning English this way have no difficulty reading almost any word given. I have heard parents saying what an amazing child they have as their child can read all English words they see on labels, signs etc!!!!!!!!! They do not know that it is the method that actually works!

21 Aug 2009     

goale
Argentina

Hi gailna!! We are teaching very young learners (from 4 months on ) at our institute. In fact, we are using a holistic method that�s really fantastic and it works very well. This method is part of a franchise called "All English for babies" and in case you are interested I send you the address that is : www.allmethod.com or [email protected]. Hope you can get the best from it.

All the best. Angel

21 Aug 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Yes, that is what I mean and I have tried that. It surely works better. They identify the sound and thus it is then easier to read even if they do not know the "name" of the specific letters. Later on they learn the letters � names and the alphabet. I have noticed that students who have started learning English this way have no difficulty reading almost any word given. I have heard parents saying what an amazing child they have as their child can read all English words they see on labels, signs etc!!!!!!!!! They do not know that it is the method that actually works!

21 Aug 2009     

gailna2
Nigeria

Thanks. Will try that. I have always done letter names and sounds together and wondering if it wasnt conusing to the children;)

21 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >