Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > cliparts    

cliparts

dagn
France

cliparts

i look at all your worksheets guys and i wonder where you get all these cliparts!? i have so much trouble finding 2 of these pictures that look the same ( same face but not the same expression). i hope you understand what i mean and that you can help me!! thanks a lot!

24 Aug 2009      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, look at the bookmark list or try google. Just type for instance animal clipart and you will find tousands of nice cliparts.

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

Here �s the way I do it.

then i type in the name of WHATEVER i �m looking for - whether it be FRAMES and BORDERS or GIRL LAUGHING or SILLY BUGS...

ALWAYS END YOUR SEARCH TITLE WITH �CLIPART � or �CLIP ART �

ie in the search bar on google images type:  silly laughing girl clip art/clipart (1 or 2 word for clip art often produces different results)

you will get PAGES of all sorts of different clips.

select the clip you want with the usual left clicking.

EITHER (depending on your browser) you will get a SPLIT SCREEN - one with JUST the clip (on top) and the other with the PAGE that the clip originates from OR you will be taken to the original page.
( if you get the split screen - select the top half of the screen and click on SEE FULL IMAGE (or something along those lines)

ONCE YOU HAVE THE CLIP (not a thumbnail which is a small version of the clip you want) on your screen hold the mouse cursor over the clip and RIGHT CLICK.

A menu should appear that allows you to select "SAVE TARGET AS" ... then choose what folder on your computer you want to save the clip in....HEY PRESTO...you got clips:)

I have a virtual LIBRARY of clips after making so many worksheets that I barely have to search for new ones now-a-days.

Good Luck:) Hope my instructions helped!

24 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, my question is always the same: "Are we allowed to use them?" Confused

24 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Good point mariannina - We should always check the terms of use to make sure we are not breaching copyright etc.  Often it is ok for in the classroom but once we upload it here we might find that we are breaching the terms of use.  I know some countries are not as strict on copyright as others and so it is up to the indvidual to determine the level of risk they wish to take.

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

if that be the case we would be at risk every time we photocopied something for our students OR if you screen a video in your classroom - HUGE copyright infringment!  Play music for your class?  Also illegal.  And if you cut those songs to Mp3 when you download them you �re committing piracy.  and ... and ... and .... it �s ridiculous really.  we �re using the material for the further education of the people in the classroom....i feel like we almost have carte blanche:)  but that could be just me;) don �t tell on me;)

m

24 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

My institution pays the government an enormous fee for use of copyrighted materials - we can only copy up to 10% of any book, article etc.  We can only screen videos from our own college library (because these were purchased with a viewing licence).  If we photocopy from newspapers or magazines we are breaching the copyright of those publishers.  I have had to sign my life away that I will not breach copyright.  And if I do I �m out the door.

But, on a bright note, there are some ESL sites that allow you to download their mp3s for use in the classroom, like BBC learning English.  They often come with lesson plans and worksheets - Brilliant! I would be lost without them.

Plu, I use heaps of authentic materials like newspapers, magazines, junk mail and more.  I certainly don �t spend as much time at the photocopier since I began using these more.

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

wow. intense. and here i am just breakin the laws all over place. lol.  should i be worried?  you think they �re coming to get me? 

24 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

... depends on your country �s laws and whether your employer makes you stick to those laws - many countries don �t

I know of two cases where institutions were fined tens of thousands of dollars for breach of copyright - I sure ain �t gonna be the one to get my institution into trouble

24 Aug 2009     

reeta1
Canada

I found iclipart.com but the images are copyrighted, not that that stopped me. I �m not selling anything, and the idea that a giant corporation is going to come after me for downloading three pictures of the weather, doubtful. Three thousand, maybe. I �ll risk it.

24 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

The problem is not you, dear reeta1. It is this site which can be closed because publishing copyrighted material. Remember that your WS, PPTs and OEs are used all over the world.
Of course the giant corporations aren �t going to sue all the members here; they are more than two hundred thousand. But they can sue only one person that is Victor.
And we don´t want this site to be closed, want we?

25 Aug 2009