Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Helpppp!!!!    

Helpppp!!!!

sabrinita08
Argentina

Helpppp!!!!

I need your help... I �m teaching high school (2nd year). I want to teach them WH questions with WAS / WERE BORN... They already know the verb TO BE BORN in its affirmative, negative and yes/no questions. I only have 40 minutes to teach them.

Will you suggest me any way to introduce WH questions with the verb TO BE BORN??

Thanks a lot,

Sabri

26 Aug 2009      

Denisa
Romania

Maybe you can present them some fliers containing data about celebrities(eg. Michael Jackson - b. 29th???of August 1958, in Gary, Indiana - d.25th of June 2009..........) and then ask "wh-" questions : When was MJ born? Where was he born?.....
or something like that...

Hope you can understand what I mean and I could help u.

26 Aug 2009     

haaberg
Norway

Well, it depends on the way you want your class to be. If you want them to talk the whole class, you can start by asking the whole class: " Class, ask me when I was born".

Students: When were you born? (if they can �t make up the question, you start helping them). After that, you make them repeat 3 or 4x.
Teacher: I was born in ... (then you go to the board and draw your picture as a baby with the date on the top, cry a little bit(they think it �s fun). Then you repeat" I was born in 19..", then you point to a student and ask to the class: " How about him/her?" the whole class asks him/her? " When were you born?"...st: I was born in 199.. Teacher: " Class, when was he born? The whole class: He was born in 199..., then you start a conversation. You can also, ask one of the students to ask his friend, ans so on. In this way, they will practise not only wh questions, but also the pronouns with was, were.
After that, you can come up with something more difficult, I mean pictures of singers, famous people, etc. First, make them understand that it�s easier than they think it would be.
I hope I could help you.

26 Aug 2009