Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The first lesson in the new school.    

The first lesson in the new school.

szelma
Poland

The first lesson in the new school.

Hello,

I have just finished my university and I am supposed to teach in a high school. First lessons with new students are very stressful for me. There are no books to use yet and you should explain your rules and expectations. So what do you do during the first lesson? Do you make an impression of a strict person to prevent discipline problems? How do you deal with first lessons with learners of different age and English level? I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you for your help

Justyna

27 Aug 2009      

libertybelle
United States

There are many ice-breakers here.
Try writing icebreakers in the search column above.

Ask the kids to talk in groups and present themselves to each other
and then to the whole class or let them present each other and not
themselves if they are shy.
Try some games, songs, chants -just so you can get a feeling of how good they are and how much English they speak.
Also find some easy reading with questions.

Later on you can find classics online. (high school level usually reads a classic or two at one time or another)

Good luck!
L
ps - I always tell my 10th graders that if they want to be treated as young adults, they must act as young adults.  Respect one another and the teacher, make a set of classroom rules everyone can abide by, don �t laugh if someone makes a mistake and help each other.  These are the rules I have in my classroom.

27 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

When I went to a new school, I did a brief self-bio with fill in the blanks. The Ss had to listen and find the answers.  Then I had them give me their bios on the same paper and that allowed me to know their English abilities. I was then able to focus on the ones who needed more help. GL SHOW NO FEAR! lol  Take no prisoners!

27 Aug 2009     

szelma
Poland

Thank you for your help :) I didn �t think about this key word ("ice-breakers").

27 Aug 2009     

basiazarzycka
Poland

Hi szelma!

ICEBREAKER is, indeed, one of the most important things during the first lesson.
I recommend this page : http://www.eslcafe.com/ you will find many materials, especialy icebreakers, here (I love the one with the roll of toilet paper - it is amusing and children have a lot of fun)
And, of course, as libertyblelle mentioned, check eslprintables!

Good luck!

27 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi szelma

If you want to search for ice breakers try both spellings   -   icebreakers & ice breakers   -   that way you �ll have a wider choice.

Also try - warmers & fillers

Cheers

Jayho

27 Aug 2009