Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Language Lab Ideas?    

Language Lab Ideas?

Lana.
Ireland

Language Lab Ideas?

We recently got ourselves a language lab - a medium-sized room with 10 PCs, Internet and earphones. Clap

What can a teacher do in a language lab? Back in my university days we used to record ourselves, then listen, then record again doing better every time.

What else can one do?

Would a WEb Quest be good for adults?

No idea is too big or too small. Wink

2 Sep 2009      

MMAYRA
Mexico

You �re lucky! There are many things to do. Try englishexercises.org  you can create a notebook on line for your students. you have the guide here in the site

2 Sep 2009     

MMAYRA
Mexico

NEW!! Make an online
 notebook for your students!

2 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, there.
Congratulations for you and your students for this acquisition. You are really lucky!

However, this would be better called a "ICT Lab". A "Language Lab" is as you describe it but where the students are isolated from each other so as their voices don �t interfere. And we can �t do but audio listening and/or recording.

In this kind of Lab we can do much more.

As Mmayra suggested we can do on-line work mostly On-Line practice (on-line activities as our On-Line Exercises here in ESLprintables)

SS can use some language interactive software. There are fabulous ones such as Longman´s and many other famous presses.

They can do Internet Research (Web quests).

There are also language games for both very young learners and adults.

And SS can use it to communicate with key-pals under T supervision.

These are the idea I have for I already used most of them.

Maybe the others would add some more interesting.

2 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Lana

Congratulations!

At our adult college we call it a CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) Lab.   Our students spend 1.5 hours a week in the lab and have set tasks to complete.  They are given a program at the beginning of each term which outlines what they do each week and the assessment tasks they must undertake.  Tasks encompass:

General IT: Word 2007, using the internet, using e-mail
Language learning: Issues In English plus online sites such as BBC Learning English
Project: Creating a report (one per term); Creating a  PowerPoint presentation
Webquests One per term

Cheers

Jayho

P.S.  Watch the mice - they tend to go astray!

2 Sep 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

Congratulations. In fact, I have about 18 computers in my school lab which the students use classwise throughtout the school time. You can make language learning powerpoint slides for your students to workwith. Many of such presentations, you can download from our website.  There are language learning softwares that you can download and let the students work with them. There are lot of online language learning exercise which you can find through any search engine likge the Google.

2 Sep 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thank you all so much! Hug

HolyMary, what software in particular would you recommend? I �m hunting names...

2 Sep 2009     

arlissa
United States

We use the Rosetta Stone software for adult students. They love it! They can practice listening, reading, writing, and (if your lab permits) talking.

2 Sep 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

We had a language lab at the university, so we used to study there phonetics , we listen to tapes and then we try to make the difference b/w some sounds that are almost similar
we had no computers, just head phones tu listen to the tape  that our university teacher used

2 Sep 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Lana!
If you �re interested in esl software you can also check:

2 Sep 2009