Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the latter    

the latter

peiolei
Spain

the latter

Hi everyone! I �m writing a project work at present and a doubt has come to my mind. I don �t know if the expression "the latter" can be used to refer to the last member of a list of people (more than two people), or it can only be used when there are only two people or items in the list.

For example:
I gave three chewing gums to David, Tom and John. The latter didn �t like it.

Is that OK?

Thanks in advance,
Paola

2 Sep 2009      

Carla74
Portugal

I think that latter can only be used  when referring to the second of two people or things mentioned before. That �s my humble opinion, but wait for a native answer.

Hugs, carla

2 Sep 2009     

peiolei
Spain

Thank you Carla74! I also thought that but just in case it was possible...

2 Sep 2009     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi Paola,
Your sentence is correct as the latter means : being the second of two things, people or groups that have just been mentioned, or the last in a list.

Al.

3 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Carla74 is right - when you are listing two specific things then you can use  �latter �, and �former �, instead of first and last.  There are other uses for �latter � as well which you dictionary should explain.

When talking about three or more things you can use �final �, �last-mentioned �, �last-named � etc depending on your context.  "I gave three chewing pieces of gum to David, Tom and John but the last-mentioned didn�t like it." (personally I wouldn �t say it in this in this context - I would use his name instead - I use �latter � and �former � in formal writing only)

In real life you will find that many native speakers use �latter � and �former � when referring to more than two things and as such a NS would perfectly understand what you mean.  But, if you were doing an IELTS test for example you would be marked down for using it incorrectly.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Sep 2009