Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Present Perfect Tense    

Present Perfect Tense

GIOVANNI
Canada

Present Perfect Tense

I would like your opinion on the following use of the Present Perfect:

If you have just completed reading a series of pages  which one of the following would be correct, or are they both correct? (without using just or already)

�I have finished pages 1,2,3, �or would you say �I finished pages 1,2,3 �?

Could I please have your input on this.

7 Sep 2009      

silviamontra
Spain

Hi,

I would say that it depends on the time expression (or lack of it) in the sentence. That is, you can say:

I have finished pages 1,2,3. -> with no time reference, meaning �I have read 3 pages so far, and I will probably read some more �

or

I finished pages 1,2,3 yesterday .... -> with a past time reference, and you may not read any more.

The present perfect is used to talk about experiences in your life, things you have done when you don �t want to say WHEN you did them. For example:

I have won the lottery.      but    I won the lottery this morning.

7 Sep 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I read that present perfect is more commonly used in England in situations where we would use simple past in the US.

To me, saying "I finished pages 1,2,3" does not preclude that I will read more pages, and in my opinion, it does not require a past time reference like yesterday.

When I want to announce that I have just finished reading the first three pages (even a second ago), I would say "I finished..." and not "I have finished..."

7 Sep 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Dear Nancy,

I agree with Silvia. If you don �t say when, use the present perfect.
If you say when (yesterday, two day ago, etc), the past simple.
At least that �s what most grammar books tell us.

Big hugs, sweetie!!!!

Mar

7 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

I pretty much agree with Silvia.

You can use both without any problem.  "I have finished...." leads me to expect that you will read some more pages in the future.

7 Sep 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Thank you very much for your answers. 

7 Sep 2009