Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > fun speaking activities with large class    

fun speaking activities with large class

beachdog
Korea, South

fun speaking activities with large class

Hi everyone!

I am looking for new fun ways to get my students to speak in class. My problem is that my classes are very big - I teach classes of 40 low-level freshmen university students.
Most of my favourite activities don �t work in such large groups. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Big smile

9 Sep 2009      

gloriawpai
Brazil

I use rap a lot.  I divide the students in two groups, right side and left side. Then we can rap a dialogue. E.g. right side raps: " How are you today?" then left side raps: " I�m fine, how about you?" and so on. The teacher or any student can be the bandmaster.

9 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

I have a ten minute �party� every speaking lesson where students mingle and talk like they would at a party.  They start with greetings, talk about the weather then the news (just like in real life).  The news is from a news article that I have given them from the newspaper or that they bring in themselves.  I give the same article to up to four of the students.  When they mingle they talk to each other about their news item using the full range of language functions. It�s great for improving their general knowledge as well as conversational ability and thankfully requires very little preparation or cost.

9 Sep 2009