Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Going it alone....    

Going it alone....

cheezels
New Zealand

Going it alone....

I made I huge step today... I went and registered myself with the tax office here in Sweden as a business so that I can go private..
I am going to make some flyers and go around all the businesses in town as well as target the schools where I live.
I am also going to set up a basic web page outlining courses, costs etc that will be mentioned on the brochure..
I have little to no money to get myself started and am not quite sure where to start..
To anyone who teaches privately!!!
Do you go to your pupils homes or do they come to you? If you go to them do you charge them more to count in travel costs?
If you take private lessons at home- what set up do you have? A separate room or...?
Do you work through a text book and they are expected to buy it, or do you provide the worksheets etc?
For business groups, I expect that sessions would be held in the workplace...
Any advice would be gratefully received via PM please!
I need to make this work and am willing to put in the effort and hours that will make it a successful venture!

9 Sep 2009      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi cheezels,
I have been teaching privatly for many years. That �s how I �m working.
I give lessons at home and at the student �s home. I charge them much more if the lessons are in their home ( or workplace). For English lessons with adults I use Headway and they have to buy the books. The worksheets I give them for free. For children, I use only worksheets I that  put together to make a book  so they won �t loose them. 
My French and German students get matirial elaborated by me.  I have a special room to teach.
I wish you good luck!
A big hug
Silvia from Brazil

9 Sep 2009     

Mariethe House
France

dear Cheezels

I am so happy to hear the good news!! Bravo!

my ex husband started his own school and although he started very little, now he has more than 20 teachers working for him!! so trust yourself!
He used to work ( very very long hours) for a language school and they weren �t paying him properly but he was consciencious and all ( nearly ) all the students ( businees men, managers etc... ) went with him!! they registered at his school! So just let your actual students know about what you are going to do!
D, my x  started by renting a very little place that he organised himself and he sent mails to lots of enterprises  and places likely to need language classes  and as he knew lots of people , the word went round and very soon, he started having people registering for classes! So, start spreading the word around you.. ask people to talk about it and go for it! you will succeed!!

9 Sep 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Great news C!
Perhaps there are other private teachers and you can rent
an office or two and share the rent costs.  That way you don �t
have to travel all over the place or have students invade your
private space.
What about the local school?  Would they rent you a room after school
hours?
Just some ideas.

Good luck - sounds great!
L

9 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Wonderful, Cheezels! Good luck with your new endeavour : )

Like Silvia, I have taught privately for many years here in Brazil. I usually go to their homes or teach in-company (at their place of work). I also teach via Skype, which is fairly popular, as it is very flexible for businessmen. Charging extra for transport depends on so many factors. Is transport expensive where you are? How long would you spend travelling? I usually only charge for transport if the student is on the other end of the world from where I am or very complicated to get to. Make sure you charge enough to work in the cost of your materials unless you �re planning to charge extra for materials. Some teachers share the cost of materials with the student.

I have a site set up that prospective students can refer to for information, though I find that they seem to prefer getting the information straight from me by phone. Go figure! ; )

9 Sep 2009     

arlissa
United States

I can give you one recommendation for a free website hosting company that offers excellent and easy website building tools. That is www.webs.com. I don �t have a private teaching company, but I do run an arts publication and I use Webs for my website. I built the website entirely using their free system and it can help you save a lot of money. Here �s my site if you �d like to look at an example of what you can do: www.visualoverture.webs.com

Good luck with your new business! I think you can be very successful, even though it will certainly be a lot of work at the beginning.

9 Sep 2009     

rnrlisa
United States

Congratulations! I just started the same thing this year and can tell I will be learning all the way.  I have yet to advertise, but word is starting to go around.  I still work for a program with night classes.  So far, I haven �t been charging for travel, but usually take turns with students, sometimes my house, sometimes theirs. If it �s far, I do have a time minimum, an hour just doesn �t work with travel, unless they want to pay extra... They buy books, especially for beginners, but not always with higher levels, depends on their needs. Sorry, I can �t tell you more now.  Have faith and be constant with rates. It seems here that some students want a discount, but I don �t think it �ll work and I end up finding others who don �t have problems with paying the normal rate. Good luck:-)

9 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

The flyers idea is good.  I don �t know how it works in Sweden, but in Chile it �s all about contacts.  Your best option is to get into a company.  If you were working for a language institute before, you �ll have some idea about numbers of students and costs that big companies are charged.  I teach in a company, because there �s no middle man I �m actually about 50% cheaper but my income is 200% higher.  Get friendly with old students talk to a lot of people get that contact list made.  For companies you need to wow them.  Initial test for evaluation and then a clear curriculum, and regular testing say every 6 months.  Material you have made yourself is more impressive than a book you have bought.  It shows dedication.  Good luck.

9 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi,

That�s good news and I think it is the best thing to do. I worked for schools, institutes and companies but have always kept my private students so that is all I have done for years.

A good way to compete with others while you make yourself known is by finding out how much others are charging and being a bit below. Once you get to be known,  no publicity is necessary.

Of course you are to charge differently for a standard course than  for a tailored one; for a group/ a one to one class and  much more if you have to go to their place as you have to consider your time and  expenses.

The best thing is to follow a book which you  would supplement with worksheets every time you consider it suitable. You know there is no book which is really complete, covering all four skills efficiently, but if you are to work with different levels. Having a textbook for each will save you  a lot of time and work, at least at the beginning, until you get organized and familiar with your new activity.

Good luck!Thumbs Up

9 Sep 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi Cheezles, Well done for taking the big step. I am sure you will make it work. I too have just registered as self employed but I do more with very small kids. I found that things just snowball once you do a few groups. I look forward to hearing how you are getting along.
Keep in touch.
Hugs Yeti xx

9 Sep 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

GO for it!!!
YOu �ve been "beating about the bush" for some time now, it was hard time you took this matter into your own hands

All my love form Argentina!!!

9 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >