Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > New project for my kids.    

New project for my kids.

life_line
Ukraine

New project for my kids.

Hi there, dear friends!

During these days I �ve been really busy and didn �t have a chance to take part in all the wonderful topics about the ideas of a new school year start. Anyway, let me tell you what I did with my students. I hope you can �use the idea as well and have as much fun with your kids as I had with mine. As I teach kids from 6 to 14, I decided to ask the older ones to bring to school objects( or photos/drawings of the objects) that can characterize them in the best way, i.e. things that kids associate themselves with.� I must tell you that it was an exciting lesson (two, actually, with 2 different classes)! I explored such depths of my students � souls that I could never think of, I discovered a lot of very valuable information. I want to share what things they brough along.

1. One girl compared herself to an ice cube, saying that she �melts � and forgets all the bad situations as easily as ice, just when she sees a beam of friendly sunshine.�

2. Spangles. One more interesting �idea. Spangles reflect sunlight and multiply it, giving people an extra chance to smile. They �can also�make any dull thing look more interesting.�

3. Other one suggested that she is like a mobile. She �s got great memory and that �s why she always �keeps � a lot of information. She �s a �calendar � of the class, remembering all the important dates and events. Plus, she �s very keen on communication.�

4. One boy brought a mirror and after all the giggles stopped he said that he �s as precise as a mirror and he neither flatters nor lies. He always tells the truth no matter now ruthless it is.�

5. One boy compared himself and his life to a TVset in his house saying that his head is full of ideas as well as his TV is full of programmes =)

It �s only a small extract of the two lessons I conducted. Believe me, there were a lot of such great ideas that would not come to the mind of adults =)�

I �hope you can use this suggestion as well and my post was worth the trouble being read =)

13 Sep 2009      

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Hi dear Olia,

Thank you for sharing this fantastic activity... I �ve saved this and when we start classes again (We finish in December and start in March) I will try this. It �s a great way to introduce oursleves on our first class too!

Did you do any follow up activity with this?

Thank you again! Wonderful idea!

13 Sep 2009     

life_line
Ukraine

Well, what I �m planning to do next is to introduce the following project. "The way I see my classmates". Kids told me that they loved the project very much and learnt a lot of new things about their classmates. Now we �re gonna do the following. They are going to write a short info about every person in the class. They can choose different styles of writing: serious, funny, interview-like, script of the movie-like etc =) They will arrange it into the project and present it to the class. This is gonna be fun as well.�

13 Sep 2009     

Denisa
Romania

Great activity and fun too!
You �re so creative, my dear! your students are so lucky..
Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

13 Sep 2009     

life_line
Ukraine

Thanks a lot you guys!!! Really hope you can use it some time!

13 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

(taking a bow) Clap just fabulous ...
I just LOVE activities which use English only as a means of achieving something else, as a mediator. That way you kill two birds with one stone (ahhh, such a morbid idiom).
You brought the symbolic representation of oneself to a new level (i did it only in simplified drawings) by asking your students to bring actual objects to class, adding the sense of touch to the whole describing process ... And you made the students think (deeper) (which is soooo uncommon in the present educational systems) in order to find an object that would correspond to their personality ... And now you �re having me think, lol ...
I choose a pendulum for my mood swings (Caroline knows best LOL) and running water as opposed to sterile, smelly still water (with the same old, same old catfish swimming in it) for my character ...
I wonder what would C. have to say about herself? Or me? I would choose a to describe her - she�s one of a kind listener!!
C, i know you �re around! Show your squirrelly face!

13 Sep 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

There is my squirrelly face Ivona. Yes the pendulum swings for me too. I �m more like a thermometer though . Hot and very cold sometimes.Confused

13 Sep 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

I love the follow up activity it �s great! You really are a creative teacher! Clap
By the way, I miss your worksheets very much!

I �m actually thinking which object would identify me... And I still can �t find it!..Embarrassed

What a pitty this topic is about to leave the main message board... it �s such an interesting one, and maybe some  people will miss it.

It would be nice, to have it visible for longer!...

Meanwhile, I �m going to keep on thinking.. :) THANK YOU!! Hug

14 Sep 2009     

serene
Greece

Congratulations Olia for this brilliant idea! I like activities that involve exploring the image we have of ourselves and of others.
Thank you for sharing it!

14 Sep 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Hi lifeline! I loved your post. It just goes to show what a little bit of imagination on the teacher´s part can achieve. I will definitely use that exercise and I will let you know how I get on. Thank you so much for sharing with us. �

CarolineHug

Ps...Heading for my bed now Night -night all.

14 Sep 2009     

binaaaa1980
Tunisia

Great thanks for sharing your wonderful idea, darling :)
It would be very nice to include such innovation in our classes.
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

14 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >