Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Question    

Question

szamoca
Hungary

Question

What do you think
Is this correct: How are you feeling today?
I know that feel can be static and active with difference in meaning:
I �m feeling the material.
I feel awful.
So can feel be in progressive  in the question above. It seems to me that I �ve heard it several times. Would you please comment on this.
Thanks a lot. szamoca

16 Sep 2009      

eng789
Israel

How are you feeling today?   - is perfectly acceptable.

16 Sep 2009     

dilekatameric
Turkey

i think in most cases feel is a stative verb but when you use it in progress it is continuous like the verb ; think

eg. i think this film is wonderful
      i am thinking now don �t disturb me ( using brain)

it is just an opinion i am not a native speaker i hope i am true

16 Sep 2009     

szamoca
Hungary

Thanks for your quick answers. But I still need more axplanation. Am I right if I say to my Ss that How do you feel? refers to how someone feels generally
How are you feeling? refers to the moment of speaking
And I still have the other one
How do you feel about staying here for a night.- meaning what do you think about.
Does this make any sense?

16 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Perfect sense!
Re �How are you feeling?/How do you feel? �  In my experience you would usually use these expressions if someone is/has just been ill and you are checking their present state of health. 
This is as opposed to �How are you? � - the polite general introductory question you would use to new acquaintances and friends alike.
Of course, �How are you? �, said with concern, would be used if you really wanted to know the answer!

16 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Sorry, szamoca, I �ve just read your question again. Re �I �m feeling the material �  - the only instance I can think of when you �d use this is if you were considering buying some fabric and were handling it to check its weight/composition.  Even then, it �s highly unlikely that you �d use the present progressive to explain why you couldn �t give them your full attention at that moment.  Gets a bit surreal, doesn �t it?

16 Sep 2009     

szamoca
Hungary

Thanks ballycastle1. I �m teaching active and stative verbs tomorrow for my 10 grade Ss.I was a bit confused but now everything is clear thanks to you, I can go to bed now. Good night! 

16 Sep 2009