Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar - my sister and me    

Grammar - my sister and me

celticpen
Spain

If in doubt check �Swan �  That�s �Practical English Usage � by Michael Swan, Published by Oxford English. Most of my old foggy colleagues and I who didn�t have the internet in our early days use this as our bible.
The section on I/Me is 135 if you haven�t got it buy it. My copy is twenty years old and I still refer to it frequently.

Good luck. 

Celtic pen.

21 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

More help / confussion:

21 Sep 2009     

my-english.edu.pl
Poland

What about this song:

"You and me
We used to be together
Every day together always"

Why is me
used in this sentence?

21 Sep 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I was always taught as millmo said - take out the other person in the sentence and see what makes sense.

And my-english.edu.pl, I think that in the song "you and me" are the objects?  Though the song is gramatically incorrect as the phrase is followed by the pronoun.  There �s probably a technical term for this repetition for emphasis...any ideas anyone?

21 Sep 2009     

millmo
France

My answer was by far the simplest!!!!

I am a native english girl! My spoken grammar, as with all native speakers, is not good...HOWEVER...I do know what it should be! As for songs, well they are written as the author would speak...in most cases, badly! Therefore, songs are not a good example!

21 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi bouncy, You may be thinking of tautology - the repetition of an idea in a different word or phrase.  Pleonasm is another possibility but the superfluous words usually serve to enrich the thought and that certainly doesn �t happen here!

22 Sep 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Thanks ballycastle1!  I figured it had to have some posh term!!!

24 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2