Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What do i tell my students ... ? What?    

What do i tell my students ... ? What?

Ivona
Serbia

What do i tell my students ... ? What?

In my school every teacher is a teacher to all the classes of students, but to one class they �re the so-called "class-teacher" and they act like the class � mum. My own class is 8th grade now. I �ve been their Mum since they were 5th grade.

I did all sorts of workshops with them in which i taught them respect, honesty, and all the virtues that seem to have been lost somewhere along the way ... As a result my class was always taken as a good example for good behaviour.

But this year, things have changed. They do not follow the rules they have been obeying for the past 3 years. We held a class meeting the other day where we reminded ourselves of the things we should follow in order to function well, but now they wouldn �t accept them saying:

"Why should WE follow the rules and be in our seats when the bell rings, or keep our classroom tidy, or throw rubbish in the bin, or ... when NO ONE does it???"

I didn �t know what to tell them. If i told them to be the way they should be, they would say i wanted them to be Fools. If i told them to be like everyone else, i would teach them wrongly.

Also, in the teachers � room there is a huge framed poster with the teachers � rules. I suggested today that it be taken down because there �s no point in it being hung on the wall if no one reads them, let alone follow them.
The same parallel can be drawn here: Charmed One, Damielle, Aimee/s. (she �s the worst) Eng789, JulietaVL, and a few more (especially the Cafe gang) keep disrespecting and breaking the rule which is clearly stated and displayed on the site http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=8717 ALL out of spite (for me) and for the sake of fulfilling their egotistic desires. As an excuse they state, if Victor doesn �t say anything, why would you? And i ask, Hasn �t he already stated it? Said it? Does he have to repeat it over and over again for you to start obeying it? If it was YOUR rule, would you not expect the others to follow it??

And the silent ones! The two-faced ones! YOU are the worst. Sending me PM�s and not showing your true colours in public. Yuck! The above mentioned women at least had the guts to speak their mind. I congratulate them on that one.

The reason i will leave this futile place, or better, spiteful people, is because i do not want to be or become one of them (and fight them with their own means). I did not get what i needed - inspiration. Only bad stuff. Those i have befriended and with whom i shared i will contact through email ([email protected]) - the few exceptions to the rule are Caroline565 (not any Caroline), life-line, gabitza.

I �m off to CREATE (@ mariethe - to being Gully and not Nosy any more) and change the world - not by trying to change the brainwashed corrupt adults (the women i mentioned, especially the Cafe gang), but by teaching imagination and all the virtues that W.Blake calls Mercy, Pity, Peace and Love, in their truest sense. Not the way YOU hypocritically and partially do it. Bah!

Oh! And i �m taking my counterpart with me!
Eat my shorts! Tongue

I will end with t
he words from Lars Von Trier �s film "Dancer in the Dark", with slight changes in �person�.

"You say it �s the last song

But you don �t know ME, you see

It �s only the last song

If I let it be." Tongue

21 Sep 2009      

Samantha.esl
Italy

Clap

I think the forum should be used to share activities, ideas, inspire others, not for chit-chats.
And as well, as others can state their opinions and take over the site so can we be listened to?

Thanks!

21 Sep 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Well I really hope that the Miss Spiteys are happy now! In the knowledge that I will be branded once again as Ivona �s "lapdog", I would like to end my time here with a final word. You... who have been arrogant and spiteful "biddies" towards her should be ashamed of yourselves. Teachers!!! � �What a joke!! I am not saying that Ivona was perfect in every way but she had so much to offer to this forum. I have just been in contact with her through PMs. �I have never witnessed so much heart-break. All she ever did was try to help here. �She was witty and ironic but NEVER in a nasty way as some of you insisted. She was just a wonderful person. I feel sure that she will,� through some other means,� remain in contact with those who understood her. �I hate what you (and you know who the YOU is/are) have done to her. I have deleted my TWO ( even that was too many now) worksheets. I know that Ivona has deleted all of hers. You see it was never about points with her...Not like some of the prima donnas on this forum. So may I wish a sincere goodbye to all who were kind and generous. To the Miss Spiteys may I just say...you are a disgrace to your profession! �

Please do not send me any PMs now. I don �t need them. I feel free again. And Ivona...thank you so much for everything. You are one in a million ...you are a rare jewel.Hug

Caroline.

21 Sep 2009     

baiba
Latvia

I am aghast! Why this hate??? Why should we all read this???

21 Sep 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Dear Ivona,
I �m so sorry to see you so upset! I really am! I also understand you and your point of view. You are absolutely right.

I just want to share with you all something that was told to me some time ago: You can never change a person, the only thing that can be changed is your perception of that person. Always try to see the bright part - there is always some!

Why leave the site? Besides the troubles it has caused it has its bright parts, right? Moreover, people make mistakes, it is in our nature. Sometimes we learn from our mistakes, sometimes we learn from the others. Some people are good by their nature, some are not that good. It �s life, in all its mighty splendour!

As for your Ss, tell them that if they don �t obey the rules because the others won �t, then they are not different from the �bad guys �. Will they be all right with this image of themselves? When we grow up and we become adults we take responsabilities, it is part of growing up - if not, we remain babies. Do they want to be treated as babies?

Please, reconsider your decision. Things are going to be better, in time... I hope! And even if they aren �t, look at the bright side - there is plenty of good stuff on this site and plenty of good people here with good intentions.
Hope to see you around,
Gabitza

21 Sep 2009     

isaserra
Portugal

Hello,
I �ve never participated in any discussion of this kind in the forum...As everyone, I have my own opinion and I feel sad that two members decided to go away because of some people that can �t respect the rules...
The Cafe was created for the greetings, exchange pictures and whatever people wanted to share...So I think they should stay there!!!
The only thing I can say to Ivona is that I think you have contributed a lot for this site with your teaching methods and your imagination...It will be a loss for all the members if you go away!!!
Best wishes,
Isabel

21 Sep 2009     

Carla74
Portugal

Sorry, pals, didn �t want to interfere because I don �t know anything about this quarrel and I really don �t understand it  but I can �t help it!

I �m 35 years old, I have a wonderful seven-year-old daughter, I love teaching, I have few but good friends, I have a supportive family...I can say I �m a happy person!

What does this all have to do with all of you?! Well, I �m "celebrating" the first anniversary on my face to face with DEATH. I had a terrible accident one year ago, I almost died but I am here, still recovering, but among my beloved ones. That �s a miracle...life is a miracle! My whole life has changed, my way of thinking, now I really LIVE life and some things are now complete BULLSHIT!!

So, my humble advice to all of you, dear friends: don �t let little hates, hostilities, pains, antipathies (whatever you want to call it!) get into your life. Life is really too short and when we understand it, sometimes it is just too late!!!

Bless you all!! Hugs from Shiny Portugal
Carla

21 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

@ Ohlala_esl

RE-POSTIN CASE YOU MISSED THE PREVIOUS ONE:

This is what I sent you: I think you have a lot of job to do today.

This was a follow up to my post and PM of yesterday when I saw that you were so prompt when some Muslims did only what others took the right to do before them and every single day.

Today the forum was invaded by many greetings with huge pictures since the early morning. So Where were you?

Don �t tell me you are not logged in 24 hours a day? Because I know this and this is the (my) point; when you cannot have a complete and exclusive control on things in here, so don �t come on the last faulty people and shoot them down without checking and being sure that they are/aren �t doing what you reproach them on purpose.

There is a difference between someone who post greetings in the forum innocently for the first time by ignorance of the rules and those who do it on purpose ignoring completely the other members as if they don �t exist or have no right on this site.

PS: Still waiting to be convinced that I was wrong in my comprehension of your yesterday �s particular sentence.

Plus, you �d better follow ladybird �s advice because you �re already in mine.

21 Sep 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Ivona and Carolina, stay!

STAY! STAY! STAY!

21 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

Dear Carla,  as we Israeli �s say,  may you only know good health -  till 120.  120 -  the number of years that it is believed that the prophet Abraham lived to. 

I think it is interesting to hear peoples true life stories.  It makes us better teachers. 

I talk about the forum in class all the time.  I told them about the rooster and all your interesting interpetations of the incident. 
I tell my pupils about the different holidays and events you mention here,  because I want to broaden their horizons. 
We are people first and then teachers so what is wrong with greeting someone. 
It may just put a smile on a sad face.
Have a good day.

21 Sep 2009     

Sue.
Egypt

Hi Ivona..

I don �t know what happened to make you feel so angry and sad , I haven �t been here lately  and today I saw that you actualy left.

It �s so sad to lose a person like you.. I just wanted to thank you for all the worksheets I downloded from you and I hope that when all this anger goes away you can come back..

I happen to be one of the cafe gang, and I think the cafe was meant for us to meet there and celebrate b.days, so I beleive that the issue of sending greetings on the forum had been reduced..  so what happened I �m so confused!!..

Anyway I hope you might change your mind someday and come back..

Best regards
sue.

21 Sep 2009     

1    2    3    4    Next >