Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Can someone clear this doubt, please?    

Can someone clear this doubt, please?

HOLYMARY_852
India

Can someone clear this doubt, please?

�Due to heavy rain match was not sarted. � The students were asked to rewrite this sentence correctly in a recent test.  What could be the possible corrections for this sentence?

22 Sep 2009      

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would put  � � Due to the heavy rain the match couldn �t start or didn �t start. � �

22 Sep 2009     

celia86
Argentina

Maybe: due to the heavy rain, the match was not startedWink

22 Sep 2009     

silpont
Argentina

Agree with Giovanni " couldn �t start" or did not start.

Hugs.

Silvi :)

22 Sep 2009     

mookie
United States

Due to heavy rain the match did not start.

I view �could � as an ability word. People can do things but objects can �t. This is why I would chose �did not � over �could not. �

22 Sep 2009     

dareka1
Japan

Due to (the) heavy rain the match was postponed/ cancelled / wasn �t held / started

�(I agree with celia86, the closest natural fit would be wasn �t started)

(your sentence, "due to heavy rain match was not started" is news title speak where they chop off the non-necessary words and use only the core information hence the probable correct answer is - "due to the heavy rain the match was not started")

22 Sep 2009     

savina noronha
India

Due to the (heavy) rain the match was postponed/ did no start

22 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Or if you wanted to be really pedantic, you could write Owing to the heavy rain, the match was cancelled/postponed, although most people nowadays do not observe the distinction between adjective and preposition, and gloss both due to and owing to as because of.

22 Sep 2009     

mysweetself
Qatar

I totally agree with celia .You can �t say couldn �t 

22 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Or - Because of rain, the match was cancelled/postponed. // The match didn �t start because of/due to (the) rain.

A rewrite or transformation doesn �t need to be literal... just have the same meaning. 

22 Sep 2009     

dareka1
Japan

ballycastle wins. It should be owing to, but then again I also wouldn �t say �not started � so I �m not sure what �s going on with that one.

�This is the close to the last post before the message goes off the cliff into the darkness of the faceless masses that are the Downbelow .. .. . .Cry

22 Sep 2009