Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > is it ungrammatical???    

is it ungrammatical???

agusjavier
Argentina

is it ungrammatical???

I want to know, if you could help me in this one...

Have you GONE to Brazil? is it un grammatical? a collegue told me that I should use instead "Have you been to Brazil?

What do you think?

Thank you, Agustina

1 Nov 2008      

goodnesses
Algeria

Hello ,  agusjavier
Argentina
"Have you gone to Brazil? " is grammatical correct. However, people use "Have you already/ever been to Brazil?" instead more often. Why? that�s one of the English language mysteries I suppose.

1 Nov 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

When I was in school I was taught that if you say "she has gone to Brazil" means that she has left for Brazil and she is still there and if you say "she has been to Brazil" means that she has already been there and has returned.  Does anyone have any other comments on this?

1 Nov 2008     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Giovanni is absolutely correct. The two sentences have different meanings, despite being grammatically correct.

1 Nov 2008     

Mishuna
Argentina

What giovanni said...in the affirmative form, both sentences are gramatically correct and have different meanings. But if you want to know about some experiences travelling to different countries or places...you should NEVER ask "Have you ever GONE to Brazil?", the correct way is "Have you ever BEEN  to Brazil?". In the same way, you can never say "Where have you gone?" you should say "Where have you been?".
I think that it�s because GONE implies that the person is not here...so how come you ask somebody that it�s not present??
I don�t know if I�m right...a native speaker could be more helpful in this subject. It depends on the situation...but what I�m sure is that "Have you ever GONE to Brazil?" should never be asked. It has to do with the semantic point of view...its meaning...not with grammar.

2 Nov 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, GIOVANNI
Canada

The example question is "Have you gone...?" and not "Has she gone...?" which in my humble opinion makes a big difference.

If you are speaking to someone about him/herself directly �there in Canada� you may not ask him/her "Have you gone...?" (may be he/she was there) but better ask "Have you ever/already been...?" since he/she�s in front of you in Canada not in Brazil.

If you are speaking to someone about someone else who his absent �there in Canada� here, I think, it is preferable to say "Has she/he gone/moved...?" since may she/he has gone there and is still or she/he has come back but you don�t know.

This conserns the Yes/No question of course.

2 Nov 2008     

xcelair8
Australia

You can NEVER say "I have GONE" because that means you are not here now.

If you say you have BEEN it means you went to a place and have RETURNED.

You can say, "Mr. Brown has gone to Brazil" (he is not here now)

You cannot say "I have gone to Brazil" (because you would not be here now, you would be in Brazil.

You must say "I have been to Brazil" (you went there and you have returned.

2 Nov 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Addition.

In the second case the two may be correct
If you are speaking to someone about someone else who his absent �there in Canada� here, I think, it is preferable to say "Has she/he gone/moved...?" since may she/he has gone there and is still or she/he has come back but you don�t know.

If you have seen him/her and you don�t know whether he/she went there or not, you may ask "Has he/she .. been in Brazil?"

2 Nov 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Goodnesses:

I totaly agree with you that here in Canada when using the example question "Have you gone" we use  "have you ever been or have you already been..".   We use gone when someone has left.

2 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

gone is very much third person.  been is so 1st person.

I have been to Argentina.
Has he gone yet?

Good examples.
Cheers
Vicki
ps - not sure if these are official rules - but it�s how we all talk... funny how rules and reality are not always the same thing....

BTW - Where have you gone? is a fantastic example of a rhetorical question as it is impossible to ask this of someone while remaining grammitically correct - and yet i am sure juliet asked this of Romeo in a completely rhetorical form! - Romeo, Romeo where for out thou Romeo - ie - Romeo, Romeo, where have you gone??

Stern Smile - well i did try to smile!

2 Nov 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

According to grammar books and common usage both are grammatically correct but used in different context:

You say: 

"Have to been to Brazil?"
  when talking about the other person�s experience. It means to ask if that person has ever visited the country.

"Have you gone to Brazil?" means the person in question is still there. It would make sense for somebody travelling very much during an internet conversation (for example).

Smile

2 Nov 2008     

1    2    Next >