Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Does your flat have a ....?    

Does your flat have a ....?

moravc
Czech Republic

Does your flat have a ....?

Hello,
Can anyone tell me whether these sentences are American or British English?
Does your kitchen have a window?
Does the bathroom have a mirror?
My apartment has a view of the river.
I think it �s American...
I am not used to those phrases... I would use these sentences:

Do YOU have a window in the kitchen? Is there a window in your kitchen?
DO you have a mirror in the bathroom? Is there a mirror in the bathroom?
There is a view of the river from my flat.

So would you be so kind and explain me which sentences are better?
I usually use have/has for possessions of living creatures, not things...
Maybe I am wrong and I follow the rules of my mother tongue.....

24 Sep 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I know I �d go with "Is there..."

24 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Though I �m not a native speaker but the sentences sound all right to me because actually it is not YOU that has a window, it really is THE KITCHEN that has it. "There is" also sounds right.

24 Sep 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Moravc

I was trying to decide if yes, or if no, but then I saw Malvine �s post and it made me laugh. In fact I can �t say I have a window, even if if add, in my kitchenTongue This is funny.
Now, can I ask who the Censored my kitchen thinks she is to say that she has a window? That window my kitchen has is mine, because I bought it.

So, my opinion... are you sure you want it?

Yes?   ok.
it goes like this: I don �t know. But it sounds me fine, just remember I am not a native.
hugs

24 Sep 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

I don �t know whether that �a American or British... I would use there to be, and not have got. It sounds weird to me, otherwise.
Hugs,

24 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

This is just ONE description of a handbag on the site www.cooldesignerhandbags.com:

The shoulder bag has a top handle and a silver toned zip for fastening. The bag has a grey suede lining and has internal pockets with a zip. ...

Would it be better to say "There is a top handle ON the handbag... etc."? I don �t know...

24 Sep 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

All you �ve written is correct. Don �t worry about translation.

In fact, you can also use have/has got instead of have (a bit more British though).

24 Sep 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

OK, guys, thanks a lot for your help!

24 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I do not know if "have" is correct or not. I can only say it does not sound natural.   Question

As far as I know...comparing a handbag with a room does not seem to be right.
We say "the bag has a top handle..." because the handle is part of the bag, but it does not happen the same with the kitchen which is a place where there are certain things (furniture, etc)

Does your kitchen have a window?   (= the window is part of the kitchen)
Is there a window in the kitchen?

but...

Is there a mirror in the bathroom?

Do/Does + have         American English and Informal British English

Have got                    Formal Br English

24 Sep 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Well, like others have mentioned, I am not a native either. But I can say that I have a pretty good auditory memory and I remember like a record playing in my head some episode of �Friends � where they say something like "the apartment has a great view". But that �s nothing if I can �t find that �natives � have said it. But if you type "the room has windows" (what I did to see if I was right) on Google, you �ll find a great deal of hotels (in both England and the US) that used that sentence in the same way you wanted to know if it was possible, and many other stuff, of course.

I guess I wanted to say it sounds perfectly fine (to me) and I would bet all my chips on saying that it can, too, be said.

Although �things � do not own �things �... they can HAVE them!! hehehehe
Wacko

Best regards, guys!

24 Sep 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Although I have heard the use of "have"- I personally as a native speaker would go with "is there" Like PhilipRI �d also use have got instead of have. Still it is all correct.

Have a nice Thursday. Remember the weekendis around the corner. I �m off to school.
Maria

24 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >