Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > how to make students introduce to each other in an original and iteresting way?    

how to make students introduce to each other in an original and iteresting way?

banska bystrica
Slovakia

how to make students introduce to each other in an original and iteresting way?

hello everybody,

I am just a fresh member of this website, and I must say I like a lot. I am checking the esl news quite often, as I find most of the things here very useful for me and my boyfriend (we are both english teachers) Wink

This is my first written need for your help: Today I am starting teaching a new group of intermediate students and I am thinking about a new way of introducing the people to each other, as they are going to meet for the first time. Usually I teach people, who know each other well, and in case they do not, I use the common ways of introducing - everybody briefly introduces him/herself (sometimes I use a handout with questions), or first they introduce each other within a pair and then everybody says something about his/her partner. I also use the activity "find somebody who...", but today i am in the mood of trying something else, maybe more original or entertaining and something that will make my new students learn and remember useful and interesting facts about their classmates.

So, this is my question: Do you have any idea how to start a new intermediate course and avoide any boring, common and maybe stressful ways of introducing? I want the introduction to be funny and effective...

Thank you for reading! Best wishes from Slovakia!Thumbs Up

28 Sep 2009      

pjsenior
China

Tell the students they are going to be interviewed on a TV chat show. They each must write 5 questions that they would like to be asked, not including basic information questions - e.g. name, age, hometown etc. These questions must relate to their interests, likes/dislikes, opinions, ideas, etc. But they can write any 5 questions THEY WANT TO ANSWER.

Then, pair them up and get them to exchange papers. Each student will interview their partner using the 5 questions the partner prepared.

How long? Preparation - 5 to 7 minutes making questions. Activity - 10 to 15 minutes talking.

Why is it good? Well, for one, they talk about what they like, so it �s student driven. And, two, students get to know each other better than just by answering prepared questions from the teacher.

Follow-up? Get students to feedback something they learned about their partner. Or, you can shorten the time each pair spends together (maybe just 5 minutes), and over the first 2/3 lessons get students to speak with as many new people as possible.

Feedback? Your main job is to observe and make a note of common errors to address later on. Apart from that, you should get involved yourself and pair up with some students. Perhaps, at the end of lesson 1 you can hand out questions you want to talk about, and get students to ask them.

Please note!! Encourage students to RESPOND to what their partner says, e.g. with another question, or just by saying stuff like "oh, that �s really interesting"

Phil

28 Sep 2009     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

dear "pjsenior",

thank you very much for your detailed description of your idea, I think I will use it in two hours Thumbs Up Have a nice day, so far away from my country!

28 Sep 2009     

KathieB
China

Hi there

Another idea I used in an intermediate/adult class was around the concept of "speed dating".  Basically, the class was roughly 1/2 female 1/2 male.  The males remained seated and the females moved around the room, sitting with each male (as in a speed dating situation).  They asked questions of each other - and they had around 2 minutes.  All questions, with the exception of the basics like name were questions that they initiated.

At the end each person then had to give a "summary" of one other person until everyone was known to the group.

It worked really well, and I found out all sorts of interesting things about the group.  All their secrets came out. LOL

Have fun.

Kathie

28 Sep 2009     

Nines Picado
Spain

I�ve got an activity in my blog which I � m going to do with my students next Wednesday. They  have  to say "25 things about them" .When they finish, their classmates have to ask questions to find out more about the things they �ve  said.  For example  I always bite my nails ( Why do you  do it? is it because you are a nervous person or is it a habit you have? Have you ever ... and so on)

They have a video as an example.The video is in Spanish because I didn�t like the ones I found in English but I �ve used it because it could help them to see what I wanted them to do.
Nines

28 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I give each person a character, example:  President of the United States, PM of England, Elizabeth Taylor.  Etc.  and have them introduce themselves that way.  Then once they have begun talking they then open up about themselves.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

28 Sep 2009     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

people, you are so kind! thank you very much! Hug

28 Sep 2009