Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Handwriting    

Handwriting

epit
Turkey

Handwriting

Is there anyone who useshand writing on the board  or worksheets? Why do you ask?Our beginners 4 th graders use handwriting.They are too slow.It takes 40 minutes to write 5,6 sentences.So,I have a difficulty in teaching them.What do you do to gain time ?

28 Sep 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Try to keep the workload small if you are worried about time constraints. Allow one or two simple short answer entries & use a few fill the gap type exercises. Don �t forget to model the writing for your students - on the board & possibly even with examples on the worksheets.

Cheers,
AB

28 Sep 2009     

debbie6
Canada

I use journals.  They can write at home and you (in your spare time!!!!!!!!!) can correct them.
Dont over correct - for example - tell them you want them to write in the past tense and ONLY correct the paragraph keeping it in the past tense.
Hope this is helpful.
debbie

28 Sep 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

Hi, epit.

In my country is using handwriting very common. I use it all the time and there are no problems with that. Of course we write only shorter notes and tests.
But I �ve got different methods with student with dyslexia who I teach too. For them I prepare printed material (it contains the same as my notes on the board) and they glue it into their exercise books.
It �s not because they would take a long time writing by themselves but because their handwriting is usually really bad and very often they aren �t able to read their own notes.

Writing 5,6 sentences takes about 5 - 10minutes of the lesson, so I don �t know where is the problem with your students. Do they use handwriting in other lessons or only in yours? Maybe you should ask your colleagues how do they manage....

Sorry I can �t help you more, hope someone else will:o))

Take care, Michaela

28 Sep 2009     

epit
Turkey

In fact they use handwriting in the other lessons We have just started. last Thursday was our first day.I will leave them free .However they feel comfort or fast  they will able to write.They can go on handwriting or they can use prose. Thank you for helpings

28 Sep 2009     

yalanguz
Turkey

I just cannot read even what they write on the board and sometimes they cannot read what I write:) Formerly it was easier but it lacked personality in itself. I generally make copies of worksheets and so don �t have to wait for them to write. I write and they altogether write on their notebooks or worksheets... We primary school teachers from Turkey should support each other regarding the exams and daily activities in the scope of level determination exams (SBS). We should produce questions with pictures from SPOT ON.

28 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

In Chile children write this weird script writing, which I had to learn.  It makes marking very difficult (that squiggle that looks like a "z" is a capital "T" and thank heavens I don �t have to do that anymore).  Personally I would eliminate it, as you said it takes too much time for young children to write.  How about asking them to draw a picture that conveys the idea and either writing it for them or gluing the text in their copybook.

28 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Every lesson I have kids copy things from the board. In the beginning only a few words (all the numbers from 1 to 10 for example) and as they get older and better at the English alphabet, I have them copy entire phrases and questions from the board. I think it is part of learning the language, learning to write it! (In our case kids need to master a new alphabet so it is double practice). True, in the beginning it takes them ages but it gets better over time. I would not give up on it. A gap fill is not giving the same practice as writing an entire structure! It also causes some focussed, quiet time in the lesson, time I spend to go around and see how well each student manages with the writing (and translating)...It is a really good time for some one on one attention. Of course there are also some kids who are exceptionally slow due to learning disabilities or sight problems and them I help by copying for them.

28 Sep 2009