Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > H1N1 Vaccine: Take It or Leave It    

H1N1 Vaccine: Take It or Leave It

Nebal
Lebanon

H1N1 Vaccine: Take It or Leave It

Hello dear teachers,

As most people have probably heard by now, we are in the midst of a pandemic � swine flu or H1N1. Because the current pandemic is being caused by an H1N1 strain, the same strain that caused the 1918-1919 pandemic that killed millions, world health organizations are understandably concerned and they are tracking it carefully. There are also efforts underway to develop a vaccine. This further raises concerns because of the 1976 H1N1 pandemic � the vaccine given for that strain was linked to cases of Guillain-Barr� Syndrome � GBS. Unfortunately, while the likely risk of GBS is much smaller than the risk from the flu itself, this risk has stoked the flames of fear-mongering about vaccines.

Please, check out this video. It �s important to learn from previous experiences.

Check these links too.

Now, tell me what to do: take the vaccine or leave it. I �m very confused and hesitant.

Best wishes,
Nebal

30 Sep 2009      

Zora
Canada

Truthfully - I �d not take it.

My mother is friends with a nurse, whose sister is a virologist, and she says her sister recommended NOT getting it. A proper vaccine takes 10! years to be tested properly and this has not been tested throughly and has taken only 3 months to elaborate.

Also, this virus has not killed one "healthy human being that didn �t have an earlier complication of some sort".

I also have a friend that was told when she made an appointment because she was sick - to just stay home and rest - in case it was the virus! No anti-viral, nothing... just bed rest!

In my humble opinion, we are being used as guinea pigs by the pharmaceutical industry and the WHO has not issued a no travel warning to affected areas or such like they did with SARS which actually was a "killer virus"! 

30 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I get the flu shot every year and have not been sick since then. Is it because of that? We �ll never know. As for the H1N1 vaccine, I don �t know yet. I �ll trust my doctor and my best friend �s brother who is also a doctor.  In the meantime, I try to keep healthy habits to avoid any kind of flu.

Cheers from cold Quebec this morning..

30 Sep 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Nebal,

The people I mostly talk with every day, my colleagues at school, are rather sceptical about the vaccine. They fear it hasn �t been tested properly and they are afraid of the possible side effects. Most of us are just trying to follow more carefully the ordinary steps we usually take to protect ourselves from illness, like eating healthily, resting, washing hands regularly, etc.

Warm regards
serene

30 Sep 2009