Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to teach vocabulary to adults?    

How to teach vocabulary to adults?

catiahenriques
Portugal

How to teach vocabulary to adults?

Hi everyone.
It�s the first time I �m teaching adults. I would like to know how to teach them vocabulary.
With children I stick flashcards on the blackboard and they repeat the words after me.
How can I teach vocabulary like clothes to adults?
Can you help me?
Greetings
C�tia Henriques

10 Oct 2009      

nejar
Peru

Hi Catia,

I use real material, I bring some clothes  or use the clothes students have on, slides of fashion shows. catalogs of clothes. I can also use situations like: I have a wedding this Saturday/ I am going on holidays to the Caribbean. I don �t know what to wear!! or I don �t know what to pack. Real life situations will provide you with sources to introduce it.
Hope it helps!
Nelly

10 Oct 2009     

marasant
Brazil

Hello, Catia!

I think that a good way is ....put examples in their real life, creating situations, like "Imagine that you go to a store to buy winter clothes" ...or you can use instead flashcards, magazines....Good lucky!!!

Mara 

10 Oct 2009     

catiahenriques
Portugal

I �ve got a dialogue on a shop  and it �s about a shirt. How can I present other vocabulary like jeans, shorts,...,? 

10 Oct 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This may help.

http://www.jobmonkey.com/teaching/html/making_lesson_plans.html

10 Oct 2009     

alsacienne
France

There are quite a few things you can start with and one are mind maps.  You ask the students what comes to mind when they think of clothes and divide the answers into general categories (seasons, purpose or even parts of body worn on). 

If you get onto another subject such as emotions, when they give you easy words such as "sad" you can ask them if they know another way of saying "sad", and if they don�t , give them synonyms "down, depressed, low...".  I usually work like that.  There �s a lot of "can you rephrase that?" in my classes.
I hope this helps.

10 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I  NEVER teach vocabulary out of context. I mean, I dont think it is useful to try and make a grown up memorize a list of words just for the sake of it.
Maybe, as you have mentioned you can include them in dialogues and then provide synonyms as alsacienne suggests

10 Oct 2009     

Homeless Turtle
United States

Hello Everybody, sorry for the long post, but I got this in my e-mail and thought that it would be helpful. If you would like more information , you may find it here http://www.headsupenglish.com/

October 10, 2009

In this issue...
Vocabulary
New materials at Heads Up English

Vocabulary is an important need for students. Without vocabulary, they cannot speak at all. But what does it mean to know a word? For example, if students can understand the word in use, but can �t produce the word themselves, do they really know it? Do students know the word if collocations are unknown, as well as many of the other uses the word may take? Do they know the vocabulary if they don �t have a firm grasp of its word family (such as develop, developer, undeveloped, underdeveloped, etc.).

Let �s start with the foundation, the form, meaning, and use of a word. These three components make up the points required for successful vocabulary comprehension.

Form: The form can be viewed as the mechanics of a word which trigger recognition. Students must understand the pronunciation of the word, or its spelling if in a written text. Prefixes, suffixes, and roots are also important, so students can readily recognize that the word may be a noun (creation), verb (create), adjective (creative), or adverb (creatively).

Meaning: This is the mental image/comprehension. Students connect the form of the word with its meaning, both at the micro- and macro-levels. At the micro-level, the word stands alone. However, at the macro-level, a word may have a different meaning because of the sentence in which it appears. There is nuance or some other concept generated. In addition, when someone uses a word, there may be other associated word choices either selected or triggered.

Use: How is the word used? For example, some words appear more conversational, others more formal. Some often appear in written communication, or even in specific forms of written communication like academic essays or business correspondence. Yet others are usually used for oral communication. Students must understand these points for effective vocabulary use, especially at the higher-levels when they acquire words with less concrete meanings. In addition, students must also realize what words or types of words are commonly associated with the vocabulary. There �s grammar to consider too.

As important as the above may be, it only serves as the foundation. Students need repeated exposure to fully know a word. They may then still encounter the word used in new and unexpected ways. Consider as a rough guide fifteen to twenty encounters with a vocabulary word before students lock its form, meaning, and use into memory.

But there �s also a second aspect to consider, the receptive and productive levels of students. It �s just as integral as form, meaning, and use. For example, students may recognize a word when read or heard (receptive level), but be unable to actively put the word in their own writing or speaking (productive level).

Receptive: Students should be able to do the following:

1: Recognize the word when heard/read.
2: Recognize the prefixes, suffixes, and root that make up the word.
3: Understand the context in which the word has been used.
4: Realize synonyms of the word.
5: Realize common collocations of the word.
6: Understand the (un)commonness of the word.

Productive: Students should be able to:

1: Say the word with correct stress and pronunciation, or correctly spell the word.
2: Be able to correctly add any prefixes or suffixes for meaning.
3: Be able to use the word in different contexts.
4: Be able to use the word in connection with other words that regularly occur with it.
5: Be able to use the word (or not use the word) based on the situation. This includes formality and/or type of communication.

It �s important to consider these points, else risk moving on to the next activity or failing to assign follow-up work because students simply recognize the word when they encounter it. Yet this fails to consider their productive abilities, as well as word associations and various contexts that go into effective vocabulary acquisition.

You can find more tips and ideas at Heads Up English.

And don �t forget: If you liked this idea, consider forwarding it to a friend!

Have great classes!

Chris Cotter
Better Language Teaching

11 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

Thanks  H.T. - interesting text.

11 Oct 2009     

ulkugunes
Turkey

Hello,
I have been tutoring adults for a long time, now. At first, it seems quite a bit hard as you don �t know how to behave towards an adult, if you are used to teaching kids:)

Actually teaching vocab. has a few phases within itself for me, such as exposuring, introducing and practising.

Firstly, I try to create a context that is taken from something recent out of life, for instance once.. Obama �s coming to Turkey and the teaching point is "clothes". I start to talk about the situation with the simplest sentences and s/he gets what I mean as they have an idea about the situation.Then for the target vocabulary, I find pictures related to them available. After this brief talk on the topic of the visit, I skip to the pictures on that day and talk about the words that I intend to teach.

Then, I give a worksheet including these new words and some pictures next to them randomly. I ask him/her if s/he can match the pictures and the words. If there is a problem with the pronounciation I correct and repeat the word a few times more.

The last phase is just giving these words above and sentences with gaps. I want him-her to fill in the blanks with the right word. If I see something wrong with the answers, I make him/her listen to the record that I have taken by myself and correct his/her answers.

By this way, the new vocab. can be practiced in four skills at the same time:) It seems a little bit  long (i dont know if I could tell what I mean as an excited teller:) but it can be done in an hour.

I hope this helps,

Ulku Gunes

21 Oct 2009