Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > FUN and FUNNY    

FUN and FUNNY

Marshmallow (F)
France

This is probably because "fun" is not really an adjective and is only tolerated as one? I agree with Renca, "funner" doesn�t exist!! This is probably one of the mysteries of the English language or just a result of language evolution over time...

4 Nov 2008     

juvelry
United Arab Emirates

Hi to everyone. I read your discussion, it is very nice to sometimes remember and revise something like that.
First of all the word "funny" IS the only adjective here according to English grammar and lexicology. So it has a comparative and superlative forms (funnier - funniest).
As for the other word. Well I believe originally the word "fun" is a noun though in English can be used differently.

Examples: We had a lot of fun. (it is an object thus it is a noun here)
This game is fun. (it is used a nominal pedicative and thus noun) but since we usually use adjectival predicatives (like This game is boring) it is possible we might confuse.
It is one opinion which can be here.

Another opinion which I believe has the right to exist is due to the word-building process called conversion (a process of making a new word by simply transferring the stem of a word from one part of speech to another). There are lots of case of conversion in English from like work (verb - noun), executive (adjective - noun). So thus the word "fun" can be considered to be an adjective. But still as originally it was a noun it cannot simply follow the rules of formation of comparative and superlative forms of a normal adj. So that is why we see phrases like was more fun and is most fun.
Hope I didn�t confuse you too much.
As for a simple explanation of your students� mistake, dear Marshmallow. I believe you should refer to the rules of forming comp and superl forms.
if the word finishes with consonant+y then y is changed to i and -er / -est is added. So your students also can revise at least one rule of formation. Thus if it is funnier then to see an original adjectove we take -er away and change i back to y.
:)
Take care. Hope I was useful.
Best regards.

4 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Thank you so much. Smile

4 Nov 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , All.

I think that juvelry United Arab Emirates has explained it right enough
I just want to make this little addition about 2 syllable adjectives

TWO syllables

Adj+-er or more + adj

Adj+-est or most + adj

Adjectives ending in: -y, -ly, -ow,  -le, -er or -ure
And these common adjectives - handsome, polite, pleasant, common, quiet

happy

happier/ more happy

happiest/ most happy

yellow

yellower/ more yellow

yellowest/ most yellow

simple

simpler/ more simple

simplest/ most simple

tender

tenderer/ more tender

tenderest/ most tender

If you are not sure, use MORE or MOST
Note:
In adjectives ending in �-y� like happy, pretty, busy, sunny, lucky etc:.

replace the -y with -ier or -iest in the comparative and superlative form

4 Nov 2008     

juvelry
United Arab Emirates

Thank you goodnesses. My name is Aleena, so you all can call me Aleena.

juvelry is just a login to enter the site. Smile
Take care.

4 Nov 2008     

Marshmallow (F)
France

Thanks for your answer Aleena, I�d missed it yesterday. The 2 students who made the mistake are my 2 best students in the class, so I think I�ll try to give them your explanation but they might ask for more!! Anyway, I wasn�t quite sure of what to say and I am now with all the members� opinions. Thank you all!

5 Nov 2008     

< Previous   1    2