Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why do you like English?    

Why do you like English?

pugovka
Ukraine

Why do you like English?

13 Oct 2009      

JulietaVL
Mexico

English was one of the most boring subjects for me... but in preparatory school I had a teacher who was awesome!

She made me feel interested in English, her classes have been the best classes I�ve ever had in my life, I still remember her with love... my ex teacher Elsa :D

13 Oct 2009     

Portugal

1. Sounds nice and smooth, instead of other ls. I speak/ or just listen to, that sound harsh.

2. Very plastic and concise; excellent both for poetry & technology.

When I started to translate every other  tec., computer-related exp. into Portuguese, it would take a lot of words to translate a simple two-word expression (Portuguese is more, say, analytic and the words tend to be longer). So, I had a hard time and a couple of good intentions for noth.

However our neigbours, the Spanish, tend to translate everything: for instance, they translated links into enlaces; they don�t mind writing more and longer words.

Ex: English: computer-mediated communication /Internet research methods

Portuguese: comunica��o mediada pelo computador/ Met�dos de investiga��o com a internet (and this one would need another 2 prepositions+a conjunction to be as precise, such as: Met�dos de investiga��o com  e atrav�s da  internet ).

Best regards,
ij

edit: Douglas, next post, made a good point: since I travel as much as I can, it�s easier having English to communicate. And when people don�t treat me right or as well as I deserve, I can scold them in my British accent...EmbarrassedThere!

13 Oct 2009     

douglas
United States

Because it provides me with a paycheck LOL

Just kidding.  

I like English because it is so international.  You can use it to communicate with people all over the world.

13 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

I agree with Douglas, I like it because I can communicate with a lot of people all over the world. When I was young French was the international language and I can communicate in that language, too. Spanish is very similar to Italian and I can manage in the Spanish speaking Countries, when it �s impossible to use one of those languages I speak...Sicilian!!!LOL
Ciao

13 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, I like English because I love how my language works - and strangely enough in school, I studied Business because I was good at Math and only just gave English a sidewards glance because it was "boring" then, even though I got good marks. Later on though, my first job was teaching English to pick up some extra cash for a trip and, well, I instantly fell in love with it. Embarrassed

It �s a simple, yet complicated language - sort of mathematical in structure. The logic behind the structures is very interesting especially when you compare it to a Latin-based language like Spanish or French - I love how it coincides a lot of times and yet how it can be so different too. I LOVE the vocabulary (always have, I used to - and still do - read dictionaries for fun!!) I love finding out the roots of words, how they evolved and the simple logical nature of some words and what �s so amazing is that the language is growing at an amazing rate because if English doesn �t have a word for something and, for example German does, we just take the word and adopt it!!

13 Oct 2009     

Mariethe House
France

I simply English because it is so precise , logical , poetical, strong, clear....

So easy in its conception of grammar.... I think you have to be in a lazy frame of mind to understand English! I mean in Frengh we have so many conjugations for verbs..; In English: so easy : I love, you love they love ... Why should life be complicated when it can be so easy?
But getting into that way of seeing things is not so easy! You need observation before you can understand why the language functions that way and not any other! Anyway, before  I get all mixed up in what I want to say I �ll just say: I love English!!

13 Oct 2009