Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Short forms of to be    

Short forms of to be

vickyvar
Greece

Short forms of to be

Dear colleagues,
I heard something really strange yesterday and I �d like to share it with you. A student of mine (private lesson) told me that her teacher at a state highschool told off the students for using the short forms of the verb to be, i.e. he said that they must not use the contractions when they speak as it is wrong. The contractions are only supposed to be in written speech and even if they write "I �m" - for example - they should pronounce it " I am". According to him the full forms are meant to emphasize the verb and short forms do not exist in spoken speech - they are just the result of people speaking fast.
Now, I �ve come across lots of course books which teach both the full forms and the shorts forms and the pronunciation is sometimes slightly different, e.g. You are - You �re.

What do you think? Is it correct that short forms MUST always be read as full forms and that it �s wrong to use short forms?

I got shocked when I heard it, but maybe I am making a mistake. Please tell me what you think.

Best regards,
vicky

18 Oct 2009      

procei
Brazil

According to what I know...(and I don�t know much) about the written form, the short form is used at informal English...and I have read it in good linguistics book....When we write formal English we can�t use the " � ". However about speaking during the conversation and it is one characterist of the fluency and entonation the formal form is pronounced as short form.... You can pronounce the formal one - I am .... to emphasyse.....If anyone wants to add something feel free...this subjective involves more than formal and informal itens... (I believe) 

18 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

In reality - the short form was only allowed in speaking and never in written English unless it was in "quotes" reflecting direct speech. So your boss is wrong.

I was never allowed to write "spoken English" when writing in school in the USA.
Today it is allowed in informal English as procei wrote - but not in formal English.

18 Oct 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Yes, I agree with you libertybelle. Short forms are informal forms indeed, but I believe we can pronounce short forms even if as a result of speaking fast - it �s not wrong. A characteristic of formal speech is full forms. That �s what I have read in many books and I was surprised to hear sth different.

Thanks both of you for your replies.
Have a nice day

19 Oct 2009