Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Halloween or Hallowe “en?    

Halloween or Hallowe “en?

miarish
Portugal

Halloween or Hallowe “en?

Hi dear teachers!

How do you teach your students this word? Do you teach Halloween or Hallowe “en?
I “m going to start this topic with my students and I “m thinking to teach them the word Hallowe “en explaining that it comes from All Hallows Day.

What do you think?

Kisses,

Miarish

20 Oct 2009      

millmo
France

In England it is HALLOWEEN

20 Oct 2009     

miarish
Portugal

Dear Ladybird, thank you for your reply. I was thinking of that same thing: the difference between adult students and children :) And you “re obviously right, kids just want to have fun!

Dear Millmo, thanks for you reply :) I was searching the web and, in fact, there are some opposite ideas about this topic. Some british native speakers thinh that the word "Halloween" is just an americanization; others think that the use of the apostrophe gives an old look to the word...

I “m still open to new opinions. I think it “s interesting to know why do people use one word or the other :)

Kisses,

Miarish

20 Oct 2009     

Pastanaga
Spain

I agree with ladybird, as far as children are concerned, the easier, the better. The same happens to me with Pumpkin and Jack o “ lantern. I know the right word is the second one but even coursebooks use “pumpkin “ for teaching young learners as it is less confusing than Jack o “ lantern.

Bye

20 Oct 2009