Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Help, teaching tips...    

Help, teaching tips...

readingaol
Portugal

Help, teaching tips...

I am currently working with an adult �s class. Some of them never had English in their lives. I need some ideas to practise vocabulary.
I want them to speak and not only write. They do crossword puzzles and word seaches, but I need some tips about games and other oral activities.
Thank you.

20 Oct 2009      

millmo
France

Hi

I always download the brilliant conversation activities that people post on this site. Some of them are really wonderful, people have put a lot of hard work into them. They are usually reading exercises with questions. i get my adults to read paragraph by paragraph and then go through explaing words they do not understand before going onto the questions. There are also many discussion topic websites, google ESL discussion topics and you should find some.

20 Oct 2009     

chiaras
Italy

Adults, especially beginners, usually like activities like "ordering at the restaurant", because they feel this vocabulary can be useful for them and at the same time the language is easy. You could look for a listening comprehension about ordering at the restaurant, after that you could make them read the dialogue and then organize role plays with the wonderful cards you can find in this site. I did exactly so when I was taeching German to a group of adult beginners and they loved it.

20 Oct 2009     

puddyd
Oman

http://www.eslflow.com/vocabularylessonplans.html

This website might give you some inspiration

20 Oct 2009     

Nucha75
Portugal

Hello
 I also taught EFA last year and also this year. I usually start with the basic: personal info and then go on describing members of the famili, roleplay activities. they enjoyed it very much. Try listenings with simple songs like yellow lemon tree... or something lioke that. I also did some wordsearch and crosswords...
 Hope i was helpful...

20 Oct 2009     

Nucha75
Portugal

Hello
 I also taught EFA last year and also this year. I usually start with the basic: personal info and then go on describing members of the famili, roleplay activities. they enjoyed it very much. Try listenings with simple songs like yellow lemon tree... or something lioke that. I also did some wordsearch and crosswords...
 Hope i was helpful...

20 Oct 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

Maybe try some activities where they can listen to music in English. Try something like the Beatles. I think adults enjoy translating songs as a fun activity. Of course the conversation cards are wonderful. I think they will enjoy the role play for restaurants, shopping, and giving directions. I

Directions

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=99481#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=240302#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=240304#thetop

These sheets worked wonderfully for me. My students gained to confidence to give directions and ask as well. I used the 1st sheet to explain the vocabulary and the last two for a role play activity.

I also for a final lesson, later brought in my lap top with google earth. This program will allow you to type in any address and you can literally walk along any street in the world with a clear view. It amazed them as well as gave them the confidence to guide each other down the street without actually leaving the class. I gave different pin points that each student had to give directions to reach a specific point.

I hope I have helped some. Big smile

20 Oct 2009     

borna
Croatia

I �ve never taught adults, but my husband attended Beginner �s English course last year and he said that he enjoyed the most filling in exercises, especially songs, U2 or something like that.

20 Oct 2009     

readingaol
Portugal

Thank you so much!

20 Oct 2009