Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Linking words    

Linking words

Allisa
Bulgaria

Linking words

I need your help with these sentences:

After she had read the letter, she threw it away.

After reading the letter, she threw it away.

I think both are correct. Is that right? And what do you think about this sentence:

After she read the letter, she threw it away.

Is it correct to put both "read" and "throw" in the past simple?

20 Oct 2009      

Zora
Canada

All 3 options are correct. Smile

20 Oct 2009     

bhaveshvyas
India

(1) The first two sentences are correct. you can use either of it to communicate the same sense.

(2)After she read the letter, she threw it away.
    the underlined clause is the first action and another cluase marks the second activity. the first activity is always in past perfect... accordingly, the use of simple past here is not appropriate.

bhavesh vyas

20 Oct 2009     

foreign
Slovenia

All three options are correct.
Clap 
If there is a clear time expression in the sentence which in itself indicates what happened first, then we don �t have to use the past perfect tense. We can use past simple with such time expressions.

20 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

foreign  -  What about,     She read the letter before she threw it away.

Does your rule work here also? 

When teaching intermediate pupils - the rules have to be very specific.  I tell them that the first action gets the Past Perfect.

So I would tell them,    (She had read the letter before she threw it away.)   even though the time expression is there. 

20 Oct 2009