Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What īs the sweetest thing....    

What īs the sweetest thing....

colibrita
United Kingdom

What īs the sweetest thing....

a student has ever done for you?

It īs a dreary day here in Spain, where it īs bucketing down, so I thought I īd create a warm fuzzy feeling on the board here.

Here īs my answer:

Several years ago as an end of term thank you gift one student typed up all the lyrics of the latest George Michael album (before you could paste and copy from the Internet) and presented them to me in a little booklet. We īd done a George Michael song that term and I guess she must have enjoyed it! It was really thoughtful of her. I was very touched.

Looking forward to hearing your answers....

22 Oct 2009      

Lana.
Ireland

Oh, what a lovely lovely fuzzy warm topic! Smile Love it.

Students have mostly given me little things - souvenirs, one girl gave me a little key-ring saying Top Teacher, another lady baked a cake, recently though on the second day after I came back to work from my holiday, a student has come in to my office simply as he said "to see me" and to say hi. That was touching, as we were paying him special attention here for a few reasons, and it seems he noticed it. Smile

22 Oct 2009     

donapeter
Romania

Seven years ago, a class of 9-year-old kids used to bring me candies and put them on the desk to find them when i came in. I even got a ring (kind of toy-ring but very shinyEmbarrassed) . The second nice thing that happened was 5 years ago when my class prepared a kind of Birthday surprise for me: when I entered the class they sang Happy Bday and i received many presents- this impressed me much as the kids were poor kids, coming from broken families, jobless parents, etc, so I knew they did it sincerely.  Since I teach high school.......no nice things for me!! Disapprove Only boys ( the average number of girls in a class is 2) who wants to miss classes, nasty remarks( not about English-of course), fights about the grades and so on.
A...I īve almost forgotten......they like my car!!!! I think is one of the compliments I can get now and here!

22 Oct 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Thanks a lot for this nice topic

The nicest thing that I received from my sts when one of thes said to me: You teach me to be patient.

This is the nicest gift for me : ))))

22 Oct 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Just perfect for warming our hearts! Congrats on the topic, colibrita.
My sts have brought me some great moments, so many in these 17 years to count. But I remembered one thing that happened unexpectedly - the month I got married (10 years ago) I worked normally, and it was the year when I had a really difficult group of high-school students every Saturday morning. I had been drilling them for the FCE, and they were losing motivation, there were many of them and Saturday mornings weren īt really the perfect time, but they had been with me for a long time and weren īt planning on giving up. I didn īt really tell them I was getting married, but the world is small so when a colleague of mine replaced me one Saturday, the news was out. The next time I taught them, they pretended not to know anything about it, and after the lesson they went outside, waited till I locked everything up and then cheered for me in the street, in a huge parking lot,, as I was coming out and presented me with a huge gift - a big green plant, a benjamin ficus, as tall as me, which they had all chipped in to get me and had a girl īs mum drive it over to the parking lot. I still get teary-eyed when I think of it, because they were all so proud of it, and they were sooooooooo different that their one gift from all meant the world to me. Luckily, my sister came to pick me up in her car, because I have no idea how I would have taken it home on the train, but I guess they īd have had the solution had I needed help. I don īt have to tell you how proud I was and still am...
I love the things the smaller kids do for us, like drawing sth, sharing their candy with us, making sth for us at Christmas time, etc. but I have to say this was about the top of my list because it was unexpected, they all did it together and just blew me away...
Anita

22 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

The nicest thing that has probably ever happened to me is when a young student who was 5 at the time brought my a bouquet of daisies. It was very touching because my name quite literally means "pretty daisy" in Spanish.

The girl was placed with 8 year olds because my first boss was more interested in money than in his customers. I really felt bad for the girl because the level was too high for her and in the group were seven girls that were about 8 and they kinda ignored her. I tried to pay special attention to her, include her when I could in an activity, etc... but she was so shy and quiet that I thought she really hated the class.

So when she brought me a bouquet of daisies at the end of the year (the flowers were almost bigger than her!!) I almost burst out in tears. Her mother told me that the girl was very happy with me and liked coming. I was so surprised by this that if you had knocked me on the head, I probably wouldn īt have felt it! LOL

22 Oct 2009     

Bare
Croatia

Ten years ago I got a present I still have in my locker. Perfectly decorated jar with some things inside / a map ( Great Britain- of course !!), a pearl (false - of course!), a pencil , a coloured bulb... /

The kids I was teaching were very creative and they motivated me to do great stuff. When they were in the 7th grade I was their teacher of the year ( they organized it themselves) and they gave me that jar with explanation : we learn English with you (the map),you are so valuable to us(the pearl), you have great ideas ( the bulb) and ..... the pencil - we might have less homework !!!! So they told me everything with their gift!

The following year I had to leave that classDisapprove because I moved to another school but I was in touch with some students. Two of them came to my new school  6 years later because they were involved in Valentine music contest we had that year. They asked me if I remembered their gift. When I showed them the jar they were delighted. HugThat was the moment when they realised as older and more mature people how much they meant to me. How much pupils can mean to a teacher....!

I īll stop here , I īm becoming emotional....

Hugs to all of you!

22 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Nice topic
I have had some big moments with my students. Some years ago I travelled to Italy, Venice, with a group of 52 students, about 14/15. We stayed there for about 10 days. They loved it. When the school year finished, the very first day of holidays, I decided to sleep through the morning, but a loud noise, ringing the bell, lots of laugh woke me at about 10 or 11. My students were at the door to wish me happy holidays and they brought a huge present parcel. I had to open the door, pretty in my pyjamas, and open the parcel, just to find another very big parcel, and then, another, and another, and another..... until there was a very,very small box, with a pair of gold earrings, a typical earring from Viana. I loved it.

Then, some years later, another very touching thing happened to me. A young girl, who had been my student for five years, knocked on my door and invited me to her wedding and asked me to be her wedding godmother. These things make us believe our job is really important.

22 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

Wow, just yesterday,  some former students who are now in High School,  opened the door of the class I was teaching and told my students to listen to me because they are lucky to have me.  I īm the best teacher and I prepared them well for grade 10.

You can īt imagine how good that felt.

Thank god for the little rewards we get for our hard work (because the pay, just doesn īt do it.)

22 Oct 2009     

lolelozano
Argentina

Congratulations for a job Well Done ! -
Thatīs a wonderful thing. I feel happy for you eng789.

Hugs,
Labadt

22 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

Wow, just yesterday,  some former students who are now in High School,  opened the door of the class I was teaching and told my students to listen to me because they are lucky to have me.  I īm the best teacher and I prepared them well for grade 10.

You can īt imagine how good that felt.

Thank god for the little rewards we get for our hard work (because the pay, just doesn īt do it.)

22 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >