Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Copy wright    

Copy wright

savina noronha
India

Copy wright

Hi All

I have three REALLY nice worksheets that i use allthe time, but they �ve been scanned from a really old book. I dont think i can upload them. is there a way i can, and not get points for it? I �m more than ok with that

xoxox

29 Oct 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Regarding copyright. I have read that old books which are now out of print are not under the copyright laws anymore. I use some images from out of print books. But instead of just scanning, why don �t you re-write the text and add images and activities.  That way you make the worksheet your own. Texts that are just scanned from a book are often deleted here. You can quote the source of your material at the bottom of your WS.

L

29 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

Well, it �s not always true. Even thought the old books are out of print they might be under the copyright laws. It is the case when someone has bought the copyrights or they may be a part of heritage.
There was such case in our country some time ago and because I was interested in it, I went through some literature on this topic. Wink We never know when we can use it, do we?

29 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Zambia - there are copyright time limits on most if not all books and music. If a book is never going to be printed again, never sold again and never will be a part of a library collection again, then I can �t imagine the copyright laws pertain anymore.

I have copyright on all of my song lyrics for 50 years and  no more.
If Savina �s book is from the 50 �s I really doubt that it is protected anymore.
L

29 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Sorry to digress, you write songs Libertybelle?

29 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

There is also something known as "Fair Use" - which allows for people to use parts of books, pictures, etc if they are for educational uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

29 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

libertybelle,

savina wrote "a really old book" - for some people it may be 60 years and for others 30. I only completed your info.

29 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I �ve had students that think anything from the 90s is ancient!LOL

29 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

colibrita - you think that �s bad,  I �m older than some of my pupils � grandparents.

29 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Just call me "Old as the hills and twice as dusty"!!!

(yes Colibrita - I �m a lyricist)

29 Oct 2009     

Moon22
United Arab Emirates

I totally agree with libertybelle and admire most of her opinions.

eventhough i have no idea about copy wrights, I think that copying some pictures and writing the text on your own. or adding your own ideas for the worksheet will make it your own. and there are many people who scan pictures from books and create activities according to their lesson  :)Smile

29 Oct 2009