Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Happy Halloween !!!!! How do each country celebrate it ???    

Happy Halloween !!!!! How do each country celebrate it ???

alexa09
Argentina

Happy Halloween !!!!! How do each country celebrate it ???

Happy Halloween to all !! Here in Argentina it �s starting to get into this "spooky fun" in some neighbourhoods, children will ask for some sweets. Most of the discos are having their "halloween Night" today....some started yesterday. In my case, I �ve been celebrating it at home. I decorate my flat . and we have dinner with some friends. The idea is to "do something different, get out of the routine" and wiith these "explanation" our friends accept happily the idea of coming and even coming with a costume!!! we have a great time ! have a lot of fun! and by saying something loike this: to do something so to get out of the boring routine, argentinian people are starting to getting into this....
what about you???

31 Oct 2009      

vickyvar
Greece

Hi!
We do not celebrate Halloween here in Greece, but I always like to hear all the nice stories about it. However, it has become a little boring because people have been talking about it for the past month or so...and there are so many worksheets about that celebration!

31 Oct 2009     

_babz
Canada

Here in Canada, Halloween is extremely popular tradition and holidy, I �d have to say...
last night, I carved 3 pumpkins for my kids, tonight we �re all heading out for trick-o-treating....i prefer being tricked...but...i guess my kids enjoy the candies...

for those who have never celebrated Halloween, I strongly suggest, one time in your lives, to visit the Eastern parts of Canada and the US, especially towns like Salem in Massachusetts...it �s loads and loads of spooky fun

Happy Hallow �s Eve to all!

31 Oct 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

We  recreated Halloween with the kids yesterday  as part of their cultural background, but we always make clear this festival has nothing to do with our culture.
Perhaps we should give it a local name  as a time in the year to meet with friends and do something different.
Having fun is very healthy for everybody, but personally I do not like to stick to foreign traditions.
We should have ours.

Hope all of you enjoy it a lot! Laugh all you can!!!

Peace, love, blessings to your homes

31 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

In the USA we had a Halloween parade and at night we went trick-or-treating with our parents.  In some towns there are town parties for parents or/and their kids.
In Europe people have private costume parties and in Britain each town has their own way of celebrating, often with fireworks.
Me?  I fly around on my broomstick!

31 Oct 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

HI!
In Croatia it �s not an official holiday. We �ve sort of adopted it from the States, though many people still don �t understand what it �s about and how it started. Some people consider it a horrible ritual, some just love it for the fun of it, some have tried to find out more about it from history and respect it for its customs, not the commercial aspect of it. (I love the approach to fear it has, actually making fun of it to scare it away, though I don �t like overdoing it commercially with too gory pics and violent horror movies. I like the stories, legends, poetry and songs, and I try to teach my sts the history and positive aspect of the whole thing.)

31 Oct 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I like Halloween time!

But in Mexico we do not celebrate Halloween at all! Our festivity takes place in Novermber 2nd and  we call it "El d�a de los muertos" -- -- -- -- "The day of the deaths" and the tradition is that children go over the streets asking for candies in the houses or shops...

We have a nice chant for this when you ask candies, Spanish speakers will understand

"El muerto, pide condoches,
sino les dan
puertas y ventanas se les cerrar�n"

Condoches -- -- a traditional bread in M�xico

We also go to visit the graves of our beloved ones and some people spend the whole day next to the graves playing music, singing or planting flowers next to the graves.

I know this also sounds weird but Mexicans do not fear the death that much: we tend to have dinner next to the graves and sleep next to them during the whole night...

Actually this is very popular tradition and in some places thousand of tourists come to M�xico to see how this tradition takes place...

This is a big holiday in my country, we also have big parades... I like this time... it is nice!

31 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, in Italy we have different traditions according to the regions, we have 20 of them in our Country. Each region has thousands of different traditions, so it �s hard to choose which one to explain. Now Halloween is very spread, especially among young people, even if it is an "imported" holiday!
Dear Julieta Have you got any other information about the Dia de los Muertos? I guess it �s a huge celebration. Thank you. Hug

31 Oct 2009     

Missbrittany
France

In France, traditionally, the family meets on the first of November (La Toussaint), and most people go to the cemetery where people from the family are buried. We tend the tombs, bring new flowers (usually chrysanthemums) and pray for our lost ones. There �s a ten-day break at that period.
  I �ve noticed that fewer and fewer children dress up for Halloween. A few years ago, shop keepers tried to bring the tradition to France and people were influenced by that. You could see pumpkins, witches, spiders � everywhere in shops, people decorated their houses and bought candy for trick-or-treaters. Shops were decorated in black and orange, there were contests, children went from house to house. It was big for a few years but then people gave up. It�s just not a French tradition, people didn�t want to copy the States. Kids loved it, of course and ate too many sweets, but adults didn�t feel like it was genuine. So now we�re back to normal and I think most people celebrate la Toussaint with their family. There aren�t many pumpkins and witches in the shops any more, I couldn�t find anything to decorate my classroom before the break!

31 Oct 2009     

denfer
Czech Republic

In the Czech Republic the 2nd November is devoted to the memory of dead people. We buy  flowers or wreaths and lay them on the graves of the people who had left us. 
It has become popular to carve pumpkins and put them in front of your house and children have costume parties in kindergartens or at school but you can�t really call it  Halloween.

31 Oct 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Canada it is much like in the United States.  On October 3lst the children all dress
up in costumes and go trick-or-treating.  Some parents dress up as well and go with their children.  Today, it is raining hard in my city and many children were at the mall this afternoon celebrating, as they know it will be raining tonight.    The stores gave out candy to the children.  Tonight, the adults and teen-agers will celebrate.  Many people have costume parties at their homes and the clubs have costume dances.

31 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >