Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP PLEASE!    

HELP PLEASE!

savina noronha
India

HELP PLEASE!

I �m thoroughly  confused! What �s the difference between a possessive adjective and a possessive pronoun. Aren �t they both things like �my �, �our �?

4 Nov 2009      

Roraho
Chile

Hi ,  yes, they are very different. Why? because a possessive pronoun can be a head of a sentence, it can be the main word and it can be used with a verb.
A: My husband is very mean.   ( my , just describes )
B: Mine is very nice.      (mine is the subject of the sentence)

"My" is and adjective. Adjectives cannot be used with verbs, they cannot exist by themselves because they need to modify or describe something. My , your, their need a noun to describe, but possessive pronouns don �t.
I hope I could help a little bit.
Bye

4 Nov 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Possessive adjectives are used before nouns:  my, your, his, her, its, our,  their
my pen     your book

Possessive pronouns: mine, yours, his, hers, ours, theirs  are used alone, that is they work as the adjective and noun together.

A. Is this your book?
B. No, it is not mine  (=my book). It is hers (=her book)

4 Nov 2009     

volga
United States

I am not sure where you got your confusion from, but these two terms are sometimes used interchangeably. In the U.S. the term �adjectives � is a preferred one. Thus, we have here possessive adjectives (my, mine, etc.) and demonstrative adjectives (this, that, these, those). Even articles are called simply adjectives. Anything that modifies a noun is an adjective. In Britain, as far as I understand, they are usually called pronouns and articles.

As for the use of �mine, yours, etc. � alone, that is correct. However, it doesn �t make them any different than adjectives that are considered to be part of a predicate (Ex., I am tired).

Cheers! :))

4 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

A possessive pronoun replaces the possessive adjective +  noun already mentioned, in order to avoid repetition.

This is my backpack. Is that yours? (your + backback --> already mentioned)

Hope it helps.

4 Nov 2009     

savina noronha
India

thanks so much!

4 Nov 2009     

savina noronha
India

thanks so much!

4 Nov 2009