Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What īs your favourite novel and author?    

What īs your favourite novel and author?

fsams
Maldives

What īs your favourite novel and author?

Hey everyone, let īs see who reads what and who likes what ? Post the title of one of your favourite novels and its author! And if possible give a short review of it!

Mine will be.....(It īs a true and terrifying story)

MUMMY,  COME HOME

by Oxana Kalemi

Waking up bleary-eyed and beaten, Oxana wondered how she had got there. Then she remembered: her abusive husband, the dream of a better life, the ījob � that turned into a nightmare!. Tricked into prostitution by her best friend, Oxana was torn from her children in Ukraine and trafficked into the UK, where she was imprisoned in a Birmingham sauna and forced to service up to 15 clients a night. Raped, beaten and abused, she was sickened by what she had become. Oxana only had one thing left in the world to live for: the thought of being reunited with her children. But even if she escaped she had no idea how she īd get them back! But where so many women are destroyed forever by such violence and suffering, her unbending love for her children and her unshakeable determination meant that even in her darkest hour, the flame of hope in Oxana īs heart was never extinguished. Spurred on by this faith, that one day she would be reunited with her children, Oxana found the strength to break free from prostitution and her captors and continue her fight to be a mother once more. She would hold her children in her arms again.

4 Nov 2009      

donapeter
Romania

we have a book club and this was the first topic there. 

4 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

One of my faves has to be "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" - by John Berendt, and "Memoirs of a Geisha"

oh and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"...

I could go on and on.............. I could EAT books I really could!

4 Nov 2009     

Saskush
Mexico

Hi, I have lots of favourite books, right now I īm so in the twilight saga but just for fun. My favourite is "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.... I īve read it like 5 times and I always cry in my favourites parts. Like Colibrita, I could eat book too... lol...

4 Nov 2009     

mjpa
Spain

I have already answered this question here before and my answer is still the same. I couldnīt think of just one title since there are so many good books which I have enjoyed. I really love reading.
Some of my favourite ones are "The Sound and the Fury" by Faulkner, "Dracula" (very adequate for the time of year Wink) which I have re-read lots of times or "Frankenstein". I also love South American writers such as García Márquez or Isabel Allende.
Ken Folletīs "The PIllars of the Earth" and "An Endless World" are great.
And many others, but if i continue, probably i would be writing for a long time Tongue.

4 Nov 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

My favourite book is " Kafka on The Shore " by Murakami Haruki 

4 Nov 2009     

mjpa
Spain

I had forgotten about that one hanhxuanthao.
When a friend recommended it and I started reading it, I thought he was crazy. I did not understand anything at all. But after the first 70 pages, it hooked me. Itīs fantastic too.

4 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

"The prophet" by Kahlil Gibran
Ciao

4 Nov 2009     

Morrisons Eyes
France

Toni Morisson īs novels in general and The Bluest Eye and Song of Salomon in particular and so many others... (but now you īve got a clue where my nickname from!! ^^)

4 Nov 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Mariannina: I am not surprised of your answer!!The prophet is my reference book!! how wonderful! I particularly like the passage about children!
As for me and what I like reading , it is difficult to say! I am going through a phase when I can īt read at all! I can īt concentrate long enough and I am not motivated at all! I am sorry about this situation ..... I can only read when my mind is free , during the holidays!
I have looked at some of the titles you have given and recommended so I might try the murakami haruki novel!
one of my favourite authors is Mickael Coetze....  So different from any other books I have read!
Life and times of Michael K
Interesting thread!

4 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Marieth�:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life īs longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer īs hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable

We should keep in mind, but it īs sooooooooo difficult!
Ciao

4 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >