Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > doubts    

doubts

Urpi
Peru

doubts

I have two doubts Ermm
1 What is the difference when we say sb has fair hair or sb has blond hair? Is there a difference at all?
2 Is it correct to say I �ve a new car? or I haven �t a brother.
Because I always  teach my students that there are two forms to express possession The British form: HAVE GOT - HAS GOT and the American form "DO you HAVE a brother?"  "No I don �t." etc but I �ve heard in some films they say "I haven �t any idea. instead of saying: "I don �t have any idea." or " I haven �t got any idea". Well is that form also grammatically correct or it is just correct in informal spoken English?
Thanks for your time.

4 Nov 2009      

amirhosseini
United Arab Emirates

Fair hair and blond(e) hair can be used interchangably. The only difference is that "fair" can be used to describe pale skin or hair, but "blond(e)" describes hair only.

"I �ve a new car" is not considered standard English, but as you mentioned we can sometimes hear it in informal conversations.

4 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Fair hair is usually like blond but can also refer to a really light blond (almost white or pale) colour.
Blond is usually used to describe blond hair from dark sandy colour to lighter "yellowish" colour.

But for early learning purposes it �s practically the same thing. I �d not bother to differentiate.

And yes, it �s correct. Very correct - just not really used all that much when teaching. But you can definitely say "I have a new car.." -  the "I �ve a new car..." is how a native would talk actually - running it together.

And "I �ve no idea/clue." //  "I haven �t any idea" // "I don �t have any idea" - Are all very common expressions. Smile

4 Nov 2009     

Urpi
Peru

Thanks for always being there. I feel so gratefulHug

4 Nov 2009